18 Feb The Marvels of Medicinal Mushrooms
Medicinal mushrooms or fungi have been an important component in folk medicine since ancient times, and many have since found their way into mainstream healing and clinical studies. These humble-looking plants are actually amazingly rich sources of antioxidant compounds, with antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties to boot. Let’s find out a little more about these natural superstars – and we’ll also help you discover which one is right for you.
Luckily, we don’t need to be expert foragers to find and enjoy the world’s most beneficial medicinal mushrooms! You can find pure powdered mushroom supplements online, conveniently packaged in easy-to-swallow capsules, so you can take them as you would any other daily vitamin.
Mushrooms! They’re on the mind – if you’re even slightly interesting in this magical fungi then you’ve come to the right place. From their incredible healing qualities to their all-round wonder (take a peak at Fantastic Fungi if you want to go a little deeper down this rabbit hole). Below we’ll be highlighting some of the mushroom superstars, as well as what they’re used for in treating everyday conditions. There is certainly on undeniable truth from anyone who’s tried them: each mushroom offers a wealth of healing benefits for both the body and the mind.
10+ COMMON PROBLEMS & 7 SIMPLE SOLUTIONS
Below is a list of common conditions that medicinal mushrooms can help to manage. You’ll be amazed by just how diverse these healing fungi can be!
- Immunity boosting, brain health and liver health: Chaga mushroom (scientific name: Inonotus obliquus) AKA the king of medicinal mushrooms.
- Lion’s mane mushroom (scientific name: Hericium erinaceus) AKA The Mushroom for the Mind. This powerful fungi is so named because of its role in promoting brain health and nerve function. It contains important compounds such as beta-glucans known for their tumor-protecting, immune-boosting and brain-protective properties.
- Immunity boosting, promotes restful sleep, fights fatigue and reduces stress: Reishi mushroom (scientific name: Ganoderma lucidum) AKA The Mushroom for Immortality.
- Gut health, lack of energy, immune boosting, urinary tract infections and digestive tract irritation: Turkey tail mushroom (scientific name: Trametes versicolor and Coriolus versicolor) AKA The Mushroom of Several Colours.
- Not only known for it’s delicious flavour but Shiitake mushrooms (scientific name: Lentinula edodes) AKA The Fragrant Mushroom can also assist in reducing inflammation and boosting liver function, heart health and immunity.
- Struggling with allergies? Or need to boost lung health or increase your energy levels: Cordyceps mushroom (scientific name: Cordyceps sinensis) AKA The Caterpillar Mushroom.
- Maitake mushroom (scientific name: Grifola frondose) AKA The Dancing Mushroom, is famous for boosting immunity, regulating blood sugar and cholesterol levels, regulating blood pressure and aiding weight loss.
Based on this information, you can make an informed, empowered decision about which medicinal mushroom will help you boost your physical and emotional health most effectively. Happy foraging!
Shop our mushroom category on Faithful-to-Nature.co.za.
Want to grow your own at home? Learn how: Growing Mushrooms at Home
Read more: Mushroom for Thought: A Vegan Friend or Foe?