15 Sep The Healing Benefits of Hemp
Hemp seeds, hemp oil, hemp protein powder – hemp products are the talk of the organic world right now, with more and more “greenies” opting to supplement their diets with this nourishing and healing superfood. There’s so much to say about the benefits of hemp, we really could go on and on… but to keep things simple, we’ve put together a list of the key nutrients in this power-packed plant, and the benefits these nutrients have to offer. Plus we have a quick and easy hemp smoothie recipe for you, and some links to our popular hemp products available online.
A Note on Hemp vs Marijuana
First things first, let’s clear up something important:
Hemp is NOT a drug, and ingesting it will not make you high!
Although hemp and illegal marijuana (cannabis, weed etc) come from the same plant, hemp does not contain the high levels of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) found in marijuana. THC is the active component, found in the flowers of the young female hemp plant, which gives marijuana its narcotic properties. Hemp seeds are thoroughly washed before being pressed into oil or processed into powder; this removes all traces of THC that may be in the seeds.
In its raw natural form, with no additives or preservatives, hemp seed powder and oil will give you the following nutritional benefits:
- Very easy to digest & absorb
- Naturally gluten-free and cholesterol-free
- A rich source of dietary fibre for healthy digestion
- “Complete protein”, contains all essential amino acids (EAAs)
- High in protein, magnesium, iron, zinc, phosphorus and vitamin E
- Rich in omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, for improved heart health, immunity, skin health
It’s clear from our list above that hemp is a remarkable nutritional powerhouse, but then again so are the other amazing superfoods we stock. So, what is it in particular that makes hemp such a popular superfood?
- Helps to balance vegan or vegetarian diets with an excellent source of protein, fibre & minerals
- Helps the body to build lean muscle, assists with muscle repair and recovery; great for athletes, plus the perfect post-gym pick-me-up
- High in fibre & nutrients but low in calories; assists natural weight loss for health-conscious slimmers
- Easier for your body to assimilate (digest and absorb nutrients) than whey or soy proteins, giving you maximum nutritional value
- Loaded with Edistin, a protein that your body uses to make antibodies and enzymes
- Contains NONE of these common food allergens; lactose, gluten, peanuts or soy!
Check out Seed Oil SA, our latest brand of certified organic hemp supplements:
Recipe for Energy-Boosting Hemp Smoothie:
Simply combine in a blender until smooth, serve, sip & enjoy!
Which hemp products are you using, and what’s your favourite way to work hemp into your diet?