Nadia shares her favourite nighttime “treat” with us. If you’re used to that little bit of sweetness after dinner at night then this delicious golden drink is the perfect addition to your nightly routine.
- 250ml Almond Milk/Coconut Milk
- 50ml filtered water
- 2 Tbsp Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp organic turmeric
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Grinding of black pepper
- Honey/Stevia, to taste
- 1 tsp Maca Root powder
- Start by placing your cacao, cinnamon and a grinding of black pepper into a mug. If you’re including Maca powder, add it in now.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with a teaspoon of coconut oil to form a paste (this helps activate the spice for maximum absorption). Add to other dry ingredients in mug.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add the unfiltered water to form a liquid paste.
- Pour your choice of milk into a saucepan and place it on the stove on medium heat.
- As soon as the milk starts steaming, pour your liquid cacao paste into the saucepan and stir.
- Grate in fresh ginger and add your choice of sweetener and continue stirring.
- Remove saucepan from heat before the mixture starts boiling and pour back into your mug (you can rinse it out before this)
- Get into a cosy spot and enjoy your steamy cup of goodness.
WHAT MAKES IT SO AMAZING:
If you’re looking for a nourishing hot drink to enjoy on these chilly winter’s days, you simply can’t go wrong with this recipe. I enjoy winding down with a steaming cup (sans Maca Root powder) after dinner two or three evenings of the week, and always experience a good night’s sleep after. This might not be the case for everyone however, since cacao may have a stimulating effect on some.
If you’re looking for a more nutritious alternative to your morning cup of coffee, just add a teaspoon of maca root powder. Apart from a wonderful energy boost, it also has a delicious malty flavour!
We are big fans of turmeric, if you love it as much as we do have a look at this DIY Vegan Turmeric Gummies recipe, or try your hand at these Turmeric Buns with Pecan Maple Drizzle, for the little-bit-more advanced baker.