27 Mar Loafing Around? Try this Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Paleo Bread
Calling all culinary cave-dwellers! If you’re enjoying the health benefits of eating Paleo, but find yourself craving a hot, fresh slice of bread every now and then, this is the recipe for you. (And for those of you keen to take that shiny new bread maker for a test run, this is a great and healthy place to start.)
Instead of ordinary wheat flour, this bread is made with flax meal and almond flour, so it packs a nutritional punch and has a great slightly nutty flavour. Plus it’s full of healthy goodies like coconut oil, honey and apple cider vinegar – this recipe, from The Paleo Mom blog, is a really wholesome treat your whole family will love.
Yeast-Based Paleo Bread
- 7 to 8 cups filtered water
- ½ cup flax meal
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp salt
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2tbsp honey
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- 4 cups almond flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 2/3 cup arrowroot flour
- 2tsp active dry yeast
- Mix the water, eggs, flax meal, salt, honey and apple cider vinegar together in the bottom of your bread machine pan. Use a fork to make sure the eggs and flax are well-mixed.
- Let the mixture sit for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil, almond flour, tapioca and arrowroot. Sprinkle the active yeast on top (or follow the specific instructions included with your bread machine).
- Make the loaf using the whole wheat cycle of your bread maker. Remove promptly when ready, and enjoy fresh!
- Be extra-careful when measuring your ingredients to make sure you get an accurate mix.
- Follow the instructions on your bread machine for best results.