08 Apr 3 Easy and Delicious Recipes for Keto Dieters
There’s been a lot of buzz lately about the Ketogenic diet, with some going as far as to say that “Keto is the new Paleo”! The Keto diet is a low-carb eating plan designed to help the body achieve a state of ketosis – the optimum metabolic state for burning fats (ketones) for fuel instead of glucose.
The Ketogenic diet was originally created in 1924 by Dr. Russell Wilder at the Mayo Clinic; it was used as a dietary way to manage epilepsy (an elevated level of ketones in the blood was shown to fuel brain function, and reduce the frequency of epileptic seizures). Over 90 years later, Keto is making a comeback, as a way of reducing cravings and managing weight. Try some of these Keto-friendly recipes for yourself.
These easy-to-make Keto recipes are low in carbs and high in healthy fats, with moderate protein content.
1. Keto Vanilla Smoothie
- 2 large free range eggs OR 2Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup whey protein
- 1Tbsp MCT oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3-5 drops stevia
- ¼ cup filtered water
- ½ cup ice
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Pulse until smooth & serve immediately. Makes 1 serving.
2. Creamy Keto Mash
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup ghee, plus extra for topping
- ½tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1tsp paprika
- ¼tsp cayenne pepper
- Wash the cauliflower & chop into small florets.
- Place in a steamer & cook for approx. 10 min. Do not overcook.
- Heat 2Tbsp of the ghee in a large pan. Add the chopped onion & garlic; cook for 5 min until slightly browned. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the cooked cauliflower into a blender; add the cooked onion mix, with another 2Tbsp of the ghee. Pulse until smooth & creamy.
- Season with a dash of paprika & sprinkle with cheddar cheese, plus extra ghee. Makes 4 servings.
3. Cheesy Herbed Keto Omelette
- 2 large free range eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ½Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2Tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- ½ small avocado, sliced
- Crack the eggs into a bowl; whisk in the chopped herbs & grated cheese.
- Heat the ghee or coconut oil in a frying pan. Pour in the egg mixture & turn down the heat.
- When the top of the omelette is firm, flip it onto the other side & cook for about 30 seconds.
- Serve topped with fresh avocado slices & a dash of black pepper.
Curious? Learn more about the Ketogenic diet and its potential benefits.