28 Dec Mushroom Wellington: A Cashew Nut Cream Christmas
Get festive in the kitchen with this mushroom wellington delight, made to make all your alternative food dreams come true.
- 1 cup cashews soaked over night
- 250g button mushrooms diced
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large brown/Portobello mushrooms
- 2 TBS soy /tamari sauce
- Puff pastry
- ¼ cup agua faba (chickpea brine)
The Mushroom Wellington Method
- Drain and place the cashews in a blender and add in ¼ cup water. Blend until extremely smooth – the same consistency as cream.
- In a pan sweat the onion and garlic until translucent then add in the button mushrooms and fry. Add in the cashew cream, salt and thyme. Cook until it makes a thick paste.
- In another pan fry the large/Portobello mushrooms in the soy sauce for a few minutes. Make sure they are still firm and not floppy.
- Roll out your puff pastry and use a rolling pin to make it evenly thin all over. Cut out a piece of pastry that is 3cms larger than the large mushroom. Place a table spoon of the mushroom and cashew cream in the centre of the pastry and smear around, keeping 3 cms of pastry without the cream so that you’re able to stick to the puff party lid onto the pie. Place the large mushroom on top of the cream, then add another table spoon of mushroom cream on top.
- Place puff pastry on top and squeeze down pastry into the other and close up with a fork.
- Poke holes into the top of the pastry and run a knife in a criss cross pattern along the top of the pie so that when it bakes you will see a beautiful grid pattern on top.
- Brush the aqua faba on top of the pastry.
- When ready to serve bake the pie until the puff pastry is brown and crispy – enjoy your mushroom wellington!