25 Oct Brushing with Oral Salts – A Natural Choice for Beautiful Teeth
Toothpaste – we’re told not to swallow it, and yet we use it in our mouths – one of the most permeable areas of our skin and the first place our digestion begins. We have already blogged about the dangers of poisonous fluoride in your toothpaste.
Added to that, many commercial toothpastes contain harmful chemicals such as:
• Triclosan: an endocrine disrupting chemical that has also been linked to cancer
• Artificial sweeteners that are harmful to your nervous system such as aspartame. Aspartame, when broken down in your body, can lead to poisonous methanol creation that can lead to symptoms such as headaches, ear buzzing, dizziness, nausea, gastrointestinal disturbances, memory disturbances and other neurological symptoms.
• Propylene Glycol is a mineral oil that is used in products like anti-freeze and paints. Although the pharmaceutical grade is meant to be safe in cosmetics, it has been linked to organ toxicity and irritation of the skin, eyes and lungs.
• Diethanolamine (DEA) is a known hormone disruptor and can react to form cancer forming compounds that your body absorbs easily.
• Microbeads: these are minute plastic pellets used as abrasives in toothpastes and other body products that land up out in the environment and can be eaten by wildlife or get back into our own food supply. These beads can also get trapped in your gums and make them more permeable to microorganisms, creating more of a dental risk than they’re worth.
There are fortunately many new era toothpastes coming onto the natural scene and squeezing some delish toxin-free toothpaste from a tube to get your pearlies fresh and sparkling is one way to go. But there is another way to brush up your dentals that not only leaves them clean and fresh, but actually helps make them stronger than before.
While your dentist may tell you can’t rebuild your teeth, there are others that disagree and say that, with the right nutrition, you can remineralise your teeth from both the inside and out, making them stronger and healthier than before. A wonderful way to do this is by using mineral rich tooth powders that are made from nothing but the natural wealth of the earth.
Natural unprocessed salt, whether it be Himalayan salt, Kalahari salt or Sea salt is brimming with minerals and trace elements that your teeth can in fact use to strengthen and rebuild themselves. Not only that, but salt is very antibacterial and cleansing, killing off microbes in your mouth that could cause infections, cavities and bad breath.
To use salt in your dental regime is pretty easy and cost effective. Just make sure you use fine salt so it’s not too abrasive. Mix a combination of 50/50 sodium bicarb and fine natural salt and use it as replacement for toothpaste that will help gently bring back the brightness and health to your pearlies.
For oral salts using pure sea salt with the added benefit of carefully chosen botanicals to improve your dental health, treat inflammation, rebuild gums, treat gingivitis and effectively cleanse and remove plaque, we have the superb locally developed Olgani range.