23 Jun Vegan Ramen Noodles to Get You Through Winter (Or Life)
Looking for something warm, savoury and oh-so-easy to make for dinner tonight? These one-pot ramen noodles are the answer! Naturally gluten-free, buckwheat noodles are high in protein, fibre and minerals, while nourishing miso is rich in health-giving amino acids and vitamins. Infinitely healthier than two-minute noodles, this dish is also packed with nutrient-dense garlic, ginger, chilli and fresh veggies, making it the perfect comfort food for chilly evenings.
Vegan Ramen Bowl
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 tsp miso
- 140g organic buckwheat noodles or rice noodles
- ¾ cup organic silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted golden in a dry skillet
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 medium fresh shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- ½ teaspoon chilli paste
- ½ cup carrots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mange tout, strung and sliced
- ½ cup fresh spinach leaves, cleaned and dried
- Thinly sliced spring onions
- A few drops of low-salt organic soy sauce or tamari
- Some extra chilli sauce
1. Place the vegetable broth in a large bowl and whisk in a teaspoon or two of miso paste.
2. Meanwhile, boil noodles in water according to package instructions. When al dente, strain and refresh under cool water. Set aside.
3. Cut tofu into bite-size cubes. Toss with the toasted sesame seeds.
4. Heat a medium pot over a moderate heat and sauté shallots, spring onions, garlic, ginger, mushrooms and chilli sauce in sesame oil until just golden, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to a simmer; add carrots, mange tout and spinach. Cook for 2 minutes until crisp-tender. Add the noodles and sesame tofu and let soak up the flavours for 10 minutes.
7. Serve in individual bowls with chopsticks and spoons to enjoy every last drop. Serve with desired toppings.
Adapted from Mind Body Green.