- 5 cups (750g) organic unbleached white or spelt flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) salt
- 1 packet (10g) instant yeast
- 1 ¼ cup (310ml) warm water
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- 1 jar Totally Wild Aloe Pickle
- 2-3 cups grated mature cheddar or other strong cheese
Serves 8 easily
1. Grease a 40cm by 20cm roasting tray pan.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
3. Add water and milk and mix to form a dough.
4. Preheat oven to 200˚C.
5. Tip dough onto a floured surface. Knead for about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
6. Shape into a large flat oval shape.
7. Spread with pickle and sprinkle over cheese.
8. Roll into a fat sausage shape and cut off 3-4cm thick slices.
9. Pack slices, cut side up, into the roasting tray and allow to rise until doubled in size.
Bake for 15 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 180˚C and bake for further 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and golden.