12 Mar 3 Incredible Natural Hair Care Hacks
Growing those lustrous, silky locks you’ve always wanted is simpler than you think, with a little natural hair care know-how. Ordinary hair treatments are typically full of harsh synthetic ingredients; the “bad guys” that strip your hair and your scalp of their natural lubricating oils, and disrupt their delicate pH balance, leaving you with more hair care problems than before! With natural alternatives however, you can actively nourish your hair and improve its growth, health and appearance. Check out these three easy natural hair care hacks, for beautiful tresses you’ll be proud to show off.
1. Keep it Fresh with All-Natural Dry Shampoo
Washing your hair daily strips the hair and scalp of their natural oils; ideally you should be washing your hair less frequently. But of course there are those of us who are prone to greasy hair, or simply can’t stand the feeling of unwashed hair, even for a day. The solution? Simple! A natural dry shampoo will leave your hair clean and shiny, without the need for washing.
- 2Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2Tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 drops peppermint or orange essential oil (optional)
- A clean glass jar with a lid, for storage
- An old (clean) makeup brush, for application
Please Note: The cocoa-based shampoo is ideal for dark hair colours, as it won’t leave any light or white powder on the hair. If you have fair hair, simply eliminate the cocoa powder and use 4Tbsp of arrowroot instead!
- Combine the arrowroot & cocoa powders in the glass jar.
- Using a spoon, add the essential oil & mix well.
- Using the makeup brush, apply the mixture to the roots or oily parts of your hair.
- Comb & style as usual.
You can also turn this fab natural shampoo into a hairspray, by adding ¼ cup vodka or witch hazel, and shaking it up together in a spray bottle.
2. Get Growing with Rosemary
The perfect hair-healthy herb can be found right in your back garden! Used as an oil, a masque or a rinse, rosemary stimulates the circulation in the scalp and boosts cell division, speeding up hair growth and ensuring good health right at the roots. Rosemary also conditions the scalp and prevents troublesome dandruff. In some cases, it can even help to combat premature greying!
3. Balance your Doshas for Beautiful Locks
In Ayurveda, the ancient science of healing and wellness, a dominant Pitta Dosha is associated with soft, fine hair, premature greying and hair loss. A Pitta imbalance, typically caused by nutritional deficiencies or hormonal changes, can lead to excessive hair fall or brittleness. Keeping Pitta in balance with the other Doshas (Vata and Kapha) will promote healthier, stronger and shinier.
General Tips for Balancing Pitta Dosha:
- Avoid excessive heat & steam
- Eat cooling, non-spicy foods
- Limit your salt intake
- Avoid excessively oily foods
- Exercise during the coolest part of the day
- Meditate regularly to maintain peace & calmness