Peanut butter sandwiches have long been a lunchbox favourite – this simple spread is one your whole family is sure to love. Nut butters are packed with the power of protein, and full of other health-giving nutrients too:
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids; support heart health
- Vitamin E; packed with antioxidants and protects cells against free radical damage
- Minerals like manganese, calcium, magnesium and copper, which promote healthy blood and bones
Here’s a quick and easy (you won’t believe how easy!) way to make your very own nutrient-packed nut butters at home – all you need is a good quality blender, and a few handfuls of your favourite nuts.
Please Note: We recommend choosing a powerful, multipurpose blender strong enough to crush hard ingredients like nuts and ice. The Saluté Superior Super Blender has a 2HP motor that’s perfect for the job.
- Add 3 to 4 cups of raw nuts (almonds, peanuts, hazel nuts or cashews) to your blender.
- Blend at high power. The blender will crush the nuts into powder; you might find you need to pause several times and scrape the powder off the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Keep blending until the mixture begins to clump, and then blend for a few more minutes until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into a glass jar for storage. Your home-made nut butter should stay fresh for several weeks if refrigerated.
This pure creamy nut butter is free of the sodium, sugars and preservatives found in ordinary store-bought peanut butter – a great way to enjoy all the taste with none of the unwanted additives!
Tasty Tip: Your nut butter will taste delicious on its own, but if you want to get creative, stir in a teaspoon of salt, vanilla, maple syrup or cinnamon.