22 May Sacha Inchi: Fun Facts & Recipes
Sacha Inchi, also called the Inca peanut or mountain peanut, is a plant that has been cultivated for centuries thanks to the powerful nutritional properties of its seeds. This omega-rich superfood grows in the Amazon Rainforest in Peru, and was a staple of the indigenous Incan diet. Sacha Inchi is a great source of healthy fats, protein and fibre, making it a boon to modern-day diets as well. Let’s take a look at what makes this Peruvian superfood so good for you – and some cool creative Sacha Inchi recipes you can ship up at home.
Key Health Benefits of Sacha Inchi
The seed of the Sacha Inchi plant is a rich source of omegas (essential fatty acids) and tryptophan, giving it the following health-boosting qualities:
- Promotes heart health
- Combats inflammation, supporting better joint health
- Supports healthy brain function
- Improves calcium absorption, for stronger bones
- Helps to control blood-glucose levels
- Tryptophan supports serotonin production; combats low mood or depression
- Improved serotonin levels also regulate the appetite
- Promotes healthy skin & hair from the inside out
Get pure Sacha Inchi oil or delicious roasted Sacha Inchi seeds online from Faithful to Nature.
Tasty, Wholesome & Creative Sacha Inchi Recipes
Sacha Inchi Tapenade
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 cup green olives
- 2Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2Tbsp Sacha Inchi oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Pink Himalayan salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor & blend into a chunky paste.
- Enjoy as a tasty dip or spread. Keep refrigerated.
Fresh Basil & Sacha Pesto
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 30ml grated Parmesan cheese
- 30ml Sacha Inchi oil
- 30ml pine nuts
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor & blend.
- Keep refrigerated; enjoy with pasta or pizza.
Creamy Sacha Inchi Hummus Dressing
- 1 can chickpeas, with ½ cup liquid reserved
- ¼ cup Sacha Inchi oil
- 3Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1Tbsp dried dill
- ¼tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ¼tsp black pepper
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving ½ a cup of liquid (this can be topped off using filtered water).
- Combine all ingredients in a blender & pulse slowly to purée. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Once the mixture is smooth & creamy, transfer it to a bowl & refrigerate for 1 hour before using. Enjoy with green salads or veggies.
Chocolate Sacha Inchi Truffles
- ⅓ cup coconut cream
- ¾ cup dark organic chocolate, chopped
- 1Tbsp Sacha Inchi oil
- Chopped nuts, shredded coconut & cacao nibs, to garnish
- Heat the coconut cream in a pan, without letting it boil.
- Add the chocolate, & stir continuously until all the chocolate is dissolved.
- Add the Sacha Inchi oil & continue stirring.
- Refrigerate the mixture for approx. 3 hours.
- Roll the mixture into small balls; roll each one in a little shredded coconut.
- Garnish with chopped nuts, cacao nibs or a dusting of cacao powder.
- Keep refrigerated; enjoy as a delicious sweet snack or dessert.
There are so many ways to enjoy this nourishing superfood – just another example of how exciting healthy eating can be!