02 May Warming Winter Recipe: Lentil Stew served over Quinoa
This winter, try your hand at this easy but delicious dinner recipe, and treat your loved ones to a hearty lentil stew, with an exotic coconut-curry flavour, served over a bed of tender quinoa. This is a really nourishing and warming lentil stew, perfect for winter night dinners – it’s made with only vegan-friendly ingredients, and packed with protein.
- 2cups quinoa
- 2cups red lentils
- 3½cups water
- 2tbsp organic coconut oil
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1tsp blackstrap molasses
- ¼cup coconut powder
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3tbsp curry powder
- 2tbsp ground coriander
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Soak the lentils overnight beforehand to make them soft and tender.
- Soak quinoa in cold water for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Boil the water in a sauce pan with 1tbsp salt.
- Stir in quinoa, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for approx. 15 minutes, until tender.
- Melt coconut oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic, cook for approx. 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add coconut milk, molasses, coriander, coconut powder, cinnamon, curry powder and coriander.
- Simmer over medium heat. Stir in the lentils and cook until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the cilantro. Serve over a bed of quinoa and enjoy! Makes 12 servings.