14 May Mushroom Sliders With Pickled Fennel & Harissa Crème Fraîche
Prep + cook time: 20 minutes (+ standing)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 x 8cm portobello mushrooms (400g) (see tips)
- 120g vintage cheddar, sliced thinly
- 8 small soft white bread rolls (240g), split
- 40g wild rocket (arugula) leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 baby fennel bulb (120g), trimmed, sliced thinly (see tips)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup (80ml) white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
HARISSA CRÈME FRAÎCHE
- 1/2 cup (120 g) crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoons harissa paste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Make pickled fennel: combine ingredients in a medium bowl; stand for 30 minutes. Before serving, drain fennel mixture; discard liquid.
- Divide oil between two large non-stick frying pans; heat over medium heat. Divide mushrooms between pans; cook, covered, for 5 minutes each side or until golden and tender. For the last 2 minutes of cooking time, top the mushrooms with cheddar until melted.
- Meanwhile, make harissa crème fraîche by combining all ingredient in a bowl, and adding seasoning to taste.
- Spread harissa crème fraîche on roll halves. Sandwich with mushrooms, pickled fennel, rocket and parsley.
- Try to choose mushrooms that are the same size as the rolls, otherwise you may need to double the number of mushrooms.
- You can reserve the fennel fronds when trimming the fennel and include in your sliders, if you like.
- Harissa crème fraîche can be made a day ahead; refrigerate in an airtight container.