Calling all dairy-free domestic dynamos! Here’s a simple way to make your own vegan-friendly yoghurt, using thick, creamy coconut milk and all-natural probiotics. This delicious coconut milk yoghurt is perfect as a healthy breakfast, dessert or between-meal snack; it’s ideal for vegans and those with lactose intolerance. It’s easier than you think:
- 2 cans organic coconut milk
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Contents of 2 natural probiotic capsules OR 1tsp natural probiotic powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1tbsp real maple syrup, honey OR agave nectar
- Put your coconut milk in the fridge and chill overnight. This will allow it to thicken.
- Put the thickened coconut milk in a blender. Add the prebiotic powder, salt, lemon juice and maple syrup and blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour your mixture into a sealed, clean and sterile glass jar. Place the jar in the oven, but DO NOT turn the oven on. The idea is to create a stable temperature for your yoghurt to incubate, and the cultures to get to work. You could also try incubating your yoghurt in a Wonderbag.
- The longer your yoghurt incubates, the more it ferments; you can leave it for up to 24 hours.
- Enjoy delicious, smooth and creamy dairy-free yoghurt, with toppings like fresh fruit and granola!
- Always use a glass jar for incubation.
- Make sure your jar is 100% clean and sterilised to ensure proper fermentation; boil it first or run it through the dishwasher.
- Use full fat coconut milk; low fat options tend to be too watery. Coconut milk is full of healthy fats and essential fatty acids!
- If your refrigerated coconut milk doesn’t thicken properly, try adding a natural thickening agent like arrowroot powder or agar powder.
Try this fun, easy coconut yoghurt recipe at home, and send us pics of your results, or share your own top tips with the rest of our Faithful readers.