Forget the cheese and crackers. Spice up your table this festive season by offering guests the ultimate deconstructed guacamole platter instead!
A deconstructed what-what?
Okay, okay… How does this sound: a beautifully presented avocado salad, bursting with all the delicious flavours you’ve come to love in your favourite guacamole. No matter what you prefer to call it, this fresh and nutritious dish is the perfect addition to any summer celebration.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Avocados – work on half an avo per guest
- Fresh coriander
- Finely chopped tomatoes
- Jalapeno slices – fresh or pickled (up to you)
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Crushed garlic
- Sour cream
- Seed crackers
- Santa Anna Tortilla chips
- Hard shell tacos
- Cocktail wraps
- Lime/lemon quarters
- Salt & pepper
Those are the basics to have in place. Now, you can play around with additional ingredients, like:
- A selection of mushrooms or a vegan alternative; mushroom biltong
- Sustainably-farmed meat of your choice
- A jam or preserve of your choice, we love the sugar free Pineapple & Chilli Jam
- Whatever else you can dream up
HOW TO PREP YOUR PLATTER:
- Start by preparing all the additional ingredients and placing them in attractive bowls, plates and ramekins. Arrange these on and around the board/s you’re planning to place your avocado slices on.
- While we know this is really hard, try your best to wait till about half-an-hour before your party starts to prepare the avocado. This will ensure that they taste and look fresh when your guests arrive.
- Cut relatively chunky slices of avocado, about 4 per every half. Arrange slices on your board/s without moving them around to much once placed to avoid any squishing.
- Squeeze some lemon/lime juice over to prevent any browning from taking place.
- Once guests arrive, you can explain any unusual ingredients and then set them loose to create their own mini salads, nachos, tacos or wraps.
Easy, delicious and unique! What’s not to love?