30 Jul CILAOS Advises on Sensitive Skin During Winter
Dealing with the harsh winter weather can be an uphill battle when you have a sensitive skin. The cold winter air is sucking the moisture out of your skin as the air gets cooler and drier. For people with sensitive skin, this can mean a high of inflammation, redness, flakiness and even symptoms of eczema and desquamation. These conditions are becoming even more pronounced after exposure to dry and cold climates. Fortunately, there are some ways to protect your skin and keep it looking healthy and vibrant all season long.
Keep in mind two words: gentle and moisturizing.
Here is the daily skincare routine to take care of sensitive skin during the winter season.
1. Avoid cleansers with salicylic acid, lactic acid or other potential irritants.
Soaps and cleansers formulations, that contain heavy fragrances, detergents, antibacterial elements or alcohol, can be detrimental for the skin in certain conditions. If you have sensitive skin that’s also acne-prone, avoid using any medication based cleansers and products that contain salicylic acid. These can aggravate your skin and dry it out to the point of inflammation. Stick with milder cleansers such as Cilaos Cleansing Foam, to keep your pores clean over the winter season. Its formulation is soap-free and safe to use on sensitive skin/eyes, and leaves your skin feeling soft and clean without stripping the skin of its natural barrier.
2. Load up on the moisturizer. Choosing a good moisturizer is one of the most important steps for a healthy skin. Make sure you’re applying a moisturizer designed specifically for sensitive skin types day and night such as Cilaos Day and Night Cream. With a high level of natural constituents such as essential fatty acids (linoleic and gamma linoleic acids), vitamins, minerals, high percentage of water and water like ingredients, you will fulfil the basic stones for providing skin regeneration and nourishment. It will enhance the barrier function of the skin and protect against winter dryness. Also, Humectants, such as glycerin have an important role in retaining skin moisture and support the elasticity of the skin. Antioxidants are particularly helpful in stabilizing the collagen structure, which held tissues together. Other antioxidants such as, vitamin E, Green Coffee extract, and selenium are beneficial for overall protection against environmental condition and UV rays. Use every day Cilaos Protective Day Cream and Regenerating Night cream to restore your natural complexion and to nourish your skin.
3. Exfoliate wisely. Avoid using scrubs and exfoliating masks that contain salicylic acid, glycolic acid, as these can wear down your skin and make sensitive skin lose its natural protective barrier. Make sure you’re using a very mild scrub. Don’t exfoliate more than twice a week and apply with a light pressure to prevent irritation.
4. Use a hydrating mask at least once per week. Rehydrate and nourish your skin with an all-natural mask made with botanicals and natural fats. This will help strengthen your skin and reduce the risk of inflammation during the winter months. Cilaos Mask is perfectly adapted for this winter conditions. It contains a moisturising combination of 5 regenerating oils (Argan, Baobab, Macadamia, Sesame and Avocado), and Aloe Vera, soothe and firm your skin leaving it regenerated. Enriched with anti-ageing ingredients (hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, green coffee and Hibiscus), it helps efficiently to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
5. Be gentle on sensitive eye skin. Sensitive eye skin doesn’t tolerate harsh treatment so be gentle with it when you apply creams, serums or makeup. Don’t scrub, wipe or rub vigorously. It can damage tiny blood vessels under your eyes and result in dark circles. Use Cilaos Eye Gel in the morning. The draining action of Sage and Green coffee extracts reduces dark circles and puffiness while the tightening effect of colloidal oatmeal soothes the eye area by moisturising, decongesting and reducing skin inflammation.
6. Wear sunscreen. Even if it’s cloudy on that chilly winter’s day, prevent UV damage by keeping your skin covered with a layer of sunscreen. Sensitive skin can be particularly sensitive to UV damage when the sun is shining on the snow banks. The Cilaos Protective Day Cream contains a natural mineral filter which reinforces the anti-UV properties of the Sesame oil for maximum protection.
7. Drink more water. Staying hydrated will give you a healthier appearance, and will also ensure your organs are functioning properly. Make sure you’re drinking at least eight glasses of water per day to improve the texture and tone of your skin this winter season.
Discover Cilaos, the sensitive skincare range on our natural and organic website.