Piece the thickest part of the gammon with a skewer. If the skewer glides in easily with little resistance the gammon is cooked through.
- 1 smoked free-range gammon
- 2 L ginger beer
- 1 organic onion, quartered
- 1 organic carrot, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) fennel seeds
- 1 jar Kuhestan lime marmelade
- salt and milled pepper
- Cloves for studding
- Calculate gammon’s cooking time by allowing 20 minutes per 500g.
- Place gammon in large saucepan.
- Add onion, carrot, bay and fennel and top up with ginger beer. Add enough water to cover. Simmer, covered, until cooked through. Allow to cool in liquid.
- Remove gammon from liquid and carefully pull the skin away using hands and a small knife.
- Score fat in a criss-cross pattern to make diamond shapes. Stud the middle of each diamond with a clove and place gammon on a baking tray lined with a double layer of foil.
- Spread marmalade over gammon.
- Preheat oven to 220˚C. Use a pastry brush to glaze gammon. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until a rich, shiny colour.
- Allow gammon to rest for 20 minutes before serving.