You know how important it is to make sure your growing baby eats the healthiest foods; but how much have you thought about the tableware used to serve that food? In today’s world of cheap mass-produced plastics, so many parents choose plastic baby bottles, lunch boxes and utensils, without realising the hidden risks of ordinary plastics. When you’re choosing the perfect plate, bowl or sippy cup for your little one’s meals, there are so many cool and clever toxin-free alternatives. Take a look at what Faithful to Nature has in store, and get inspired!
First of all, why should parents avoid plastics?
When plastic containers are heated, washed or scratched, they start corroding and eventually start leaching a whole list of nasty chemicals into their contents.
Common Chemicals in Ordinary Plastics
- BPA: Bisphenol A is widely-used industrial chemical found in plastic containers and drinking bottles. This chemical mimics oestrogen hormones, which can disrupt young children’s reproductive development.
- Phthalates: Another type of chemical used to make plastics; phthalates are endocrine disruptors that have been linked to hormonal imbalances.
- Dioxin: Used in polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic products. Like phthalates, dioxin is an endocrine disruptor; plus it’s been classified as a carcinogen by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency).
- Vinyl Chloride: Also used in PVC plastics; and also classified as carcinogenic.
- Styrene: Found in disposable bowls, plastic cutlery and disposable polystyrene cups and containers. Classified as a possible human carcinogen.
Obviously, none of us want these yucky substances leaching out of plastic containers and into baby’s food! Plus, plastic utensils aren’t really built to last; they’re typically disposable, short-lived products that get thrown away, and because they’re not biodegradable they pile up in our landfills pretty fast. Luckily, health-conscious baby care brands have created a range of really innovative products that are free of these harsh synthetic chemicals; and eco-friendly too.
Safe Alternatives to Ordinary Tableware
Stainless steel is lightweight but super-tough. Drinking bottles and food jars made of stainless steel are perfect for keeping food and drink healthy, fresh and chemical-free. Plus stainless steel tableware travels really well, as it can withstand being dropped and knocked around.
Our stainless steel tableware picks:
Cornstarch Plastic (“PlaStarch”)
This is a natural, plant-based alternative to chemical plastics. The cute and colourful Sprout Ware range includes forks and spoons, bowls, plates and sippy cups in a choice of colours for boys and girls. Dandelion also makes a range of lightweight but durable plates using cornstarch-based plastic. Perfect for picnicking!
Our cornstarch plastic tableware picks:
Whether you’re enjoying a family nature walk or doing back-to-school shopping, there are so many great carcinogen-free plastic products available that will fit right into your kids’ daily routine. Bobble water bottles and Re-Play utensils are made from food grade recycled plastics, free of BPAs and phthalates. Stylish Bento-Ware lunch boxes are so clever, designed to help mom pack a balanced lunch that won’t get soggy or squished! They’re also made from food safe plastics, BPA-free and phthalate-free.
Our BPA-free plastic tableware picks:
Made from natural materials (sand, soda ash, limestone), glass is healthier for the planet and for your family. Glass is also inert, which means its structural integrity won’t break down over time like plastic does. Glass containers won’t stain, won’t absorb odours or flavours and most importantly, won’t leach.
Our glass tableware picks:
Tableware made from sustainably harvested natural woods are so safe and eco-friendly; plus they look really beautiful! Our range of bamboo wood plates, cups and utensils make lovely gifts, plus they’re ergonomically designed to help tots who are learning to feed themselves.
Our wooden tableware picks:
Benefits of Eco-Tableware
- Safer for Kids: Nomore worries about harsh chemicals leaching into food or formula.
- Saves Waste: Every time you choose reusable containers or utensils, you save a whole bunch of disposable ones from ending up in a landfill.
- Cost effective: These goodies might cost a little more than cheap single-use plastics, but they last SO much longer, they save you money in the long run.
Ditching the disposable plastic really is a no-brainer; it’s better for the environment, better for your budget and most importantly, better for your growing baby.