11 Jul Chocolate Coconut Date Balls
This Chocolate Coconut Date Balls recipe was made by Jess Kotlowitz, The Green Dietitian.
What better way to satisfy your sweet tooth than with some homemade healthy Chocolate Coconut Date Balls?
This is one of my favourite recipes as not only is it super healthy, high energy and nutrient dense but it is also quick and easy to make, keeps (almost) forever in the freezer and doesn’t require any complicated ingredients. Make a large batch and place them in a sealed bag in the freezer, when you feel the need for a sweet treat, just pop one or two out the bag and enjoy!
Best of all they are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and of course vegan!
For my patients on calorie-controlled meal plans:
1 x 25g serving of this recipe (Approximately 1 date ball) =
- 1 fruit serving
- 1 fat serving
- 200g fresh dates
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup chopped nuts of choice (optional)
- ¾ cup dried desiccated coconut
- Pit your dates and add them into your blender along with the almond flour, vanilla essence and cocoa powder.
- Turn your blender onto high speed and blend until the mixture forms one large sticky ball. If the mixture is quite wet, add a bit more almond flour and keep blending until you get a firm doughy ball that is easy to work with. The amount of almond flour needed will depend on the water content of the dates you use.
- Take the ball of dough out of your blender and place in a mixing bowl. Add in your chopped nuts and mix through by hand so that they are evenly distributed throughout the date mixture.
- Separate your date mixture into about 15 evenly sized pieces (depending on how big you like your balls to be) and roll each piece between your hands into a neat ball.
- Pour your desiccated coconut onto a large plate or baking tray and spread it out to make an even layer.