Baobab: Super-Powers of a Super-Fruit
Smoothies are wonderful for when you want breakfast in a hurry, but smoothie bowls are just the thing when you’re wanting to savour crunch, creaminess and fruity succulence all at the same time. Light enough for post-workout nourishment and substantial enough to give you an energy burst to start your day, smoothie bowls tick all the boxes.
And because we’re celebrating the baobab tree, we asked EcoProducts to come up with their best smoothie bowl recipe.
EcoProducts Organic Baobab Powder adds a powerful anti-oxidant dose of Vitamin C and calcium, along with useful amounts of magnesium, potassium and soluble dietary fibre. Baobab fruit powder is also known for its prebiotic properties, thereby helping probiotics do their work.
They also added in Earthshine’s Moringa and Baobab granola for raw nutritious crunchiness, colour and flavour as well as Hi Honey’s baobab infused honey – which combines the many benefits of raw honey with an extra infusion of baobab fruit powder.
With sweet, summery mangoes and berries in season, almonds contributing protein and calcium and creamy coconut milk for healthy fat, this is a smoothie bowl to fall in love with. So here’s the recipe – with a warning. You’ll find yourself wanting to lick the bowl clean regardless of the company you’re in. We did.
Makes 2 – 3 bowls
- 4 mangos, medium-sized
- 1 Cup dates
- 1 Cup almonds
- 1 Can coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp baobab powder
- 1–2 Tbsp honey to taste (we used Hi Honey but you can substitute it with agave to make this vegan)
- 1–2 Cup of water, depending on desired thickness
- Put almonds and dates in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 30 minutes to soften (in a hurry, one can skip this step and enjoy the almonds and dates as small bits in the smoothie).
- Drain almonds and dates and add to blender followed by the rest of the smoothie bowl ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into bowls, decorate with toppings (get creative) and serve.
- Gently toast your coconut flakes over a low heat