26 Sep The Low-Down on Baby Food Pouches
If you’re a new parent, chances are you’ll have been hearing a lot lately about food pouches; these little goodies are all the rage, popping up everywhere from playgrounds to picnic sites. So what are they, why do some moms swear by them, and how to tell which food pouch choice is best for your baby? Faithful to Nature gives you the low-down on this latest baby care innovation.
What is a Food Pouch?
Baby food has traditionally been packaged in glass jars; the food pouch however, is a soft, squeezable and ultra-lightweight pouch filled with puréed baby food. The thinking behind this design is that it’s much more easily portable than a jar, so it can be used anytime, anywhere. Many food pouches also include spoon attachments, so you can squeeze the food out by the spoonful for more easily controlled, fuss-free feeding.
Key Benefits of Food Pouches
- Convenient: Food pouches are lightweight and portable, perfect for feeding baby on the go, which is great if your little one doesn’t want to stick to regular mealtimes. Ideal for travelling, camping or picnicking.
- Clean: Unlike bowls, plates and jars, food pouches are spill-proof – plus there’s no washing-up!
- Versatile: Food pouches can be used to store, heat, freeze and serve baby food, quickly and easily.
- Sustainable: Reusable food pouches save household waste; and while glass is an eco-friendly material, it’s also heavy and takes more energy to produce. Reducing packaging weight is one great way to lower your carbon footprint.
- Affordable: Food pouches are typically cheaper than food jars; and reusable food pouches are very cost-effective.
- Developmental: Baby food pouches can also play a role in encouraging tots to eat more independently.
Food pouches are a really innovative way to nourish your little one with regular hassle-free meals. However, it’s important to keep a balance between food pouches and more traditional feeding. When baby eats from a plate, he or she gets the chance to really explore the textures, colours and flavours of the food; it’s messy but a great learning experience, and so much fun! Use food pouches when you’re on the go, but give baby a chance to play with their food when you have time for a traditional sit-down meal at home. Don’t forget, these times are great bonding experiences too.
Things to Consider when Buying a Food Pouch
Not all food pouches are created equal! Be sure to run through this checklist when choosing a food pouch – especially if you’re looking at designs that come ready-filled with baby food.
- Safety: Is the food pouch free of BPAs and other harsh chemicals? Food pouches should be free of any leaching “nasties”, but be sure to do your homework on this one.
- Sustainability: Is the food pouch reusable? Is it made from eco-friendly materials? We suggest avoiding single-use food pouches.
- Design: Does the baby pouch include a spoon to encourage baby to start using utensils?
- Ingredients: Is the food in the pouch really as wholesome as it says? We recommend making your own homemade purées instead!
Luckily, Faithful to Nature now stocks a food pouch that’s specially designed with safety and sustainability in mind.
Your Perfect Food Pouch Starter Kit
We’re so excited about the Cherub Baby range now available on our site – and health-conscious parents will be too. The Cherub food pouch kit includes ten 150ml baby food pouches, and a colour-change food pouch spoon.
- Designed to be used anywhere, anytime!
- Lightweight & portable
- Reusable & refillable
- Free of BPA, PVC & phthalates
- Perfect size for single-serving meals
- Microwave safe, freezer safe, bottle warmer safe
- Includes a name & date label
- Includes a measuring guide for easy rationing
- Screws securely into your Cherub food pouch to dispense food; fits most major brand baby food pouches
- Changes colour at high temperatures, to help you test if the food is too hot for baby
- Made from 100% safe, BPA-free plastic
How to Use your Cherub Food Pouch
- Fill your Cherub fresh food pouch with baby food.
- Seal the pouch & freeze until needed.
- When you’re ready to feed, warm the pouch.
- Screw the colour change spoon onto the fitting on the side of the pouch.
- Squeeze the pouch to dispense food directly onto the spoon.
Wholesome Recipes for Your Food Pouch
Pumpkin & Parsnip Purée:
- 1 organic parsnip
- 1 cup fresh organic pumpkin
- 1tsp fresh chives, chopped
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Peel and dice the parsnip and the pumpkin.
- Simmer the veggies in a little water until tender.
- Drain the veggies, then blend well in a food processor.
- Stir in the nutmeg and chives. Now you have a delicious veggie purée for baby’s food pouch!
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Purée:
- 1 small organic sweet potato
- 2Tbsp organic dried chickpeas
- 1Tbsp milk
- Peel and dice the sweet potato. Simmer in water until tender, then drain.
- Boil the chickpeas until tender; rinse thoroughly and drain.
- Purée the vegetables with the milk in a food processor, until you have a smooth creamy consistency. Serve warm or cold.
Check out the rest of our Cherub Baby range for BPA-free baby bottles and teethers.