10 May Awesome Avocado Beauty Recipes
The humble avocado pear is having a moment in the spotlight, as more and more natural health enthusiasts realise just how special it really is. Avocados are rich in heart-healthy fatty acids; they are packed with dietary fibre; they contain more potassium than bananas; plus they’re so versatile and easy to incorporate into your daily diet. The avocado’s smooth creamy texture and mild taste means it’s also great as a substitute for butter in baked goods!
But avocados don’t just nourish you on the inside; they’re wonderful for your outside too. The nutrients in avocados make them ideal in natural beauty treatments for the hair and skin. If the recent wintery weather has left you feeling a bit dried out and dull, here are some easy DIY avocado beauty recipes, to leave your skin glowing and put the shine back in your tresses. Enjoy!
AVOCADO ROSEMARY MASK
The rich oils in the avocado will leave your hair feeling soft and lustrous. Rosemary stimulates scalp circulation, promoting growth and preventing hair loss.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Using an old makeup brush, paint the mixture onto your hair; squeeze to distribute evenly.
- Leave the mask on for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly in the shower.
- Follow with a natural shampoo & conditioner.
Did You Know? Avocado pears are sometimes called “alligator pears”, because of their rough green skin!
AVO CUCUMBER WINTER FACE MASK
This moisture-rich facial pack helps to soothe and soften dry, itchy winter skin.
- ½ Ripe avocado
- 6 Fresh cucumber slices
- 1Tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1Tbsp raw honey
- Combine the avocado, yoghurt, honey & 4 of the cucumber slices in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth. Apply evenly to your face after cleansing.
- Place the remaining 2 cucumber slices over your eyes; lie back & relax.
- Give the mask about 15 minutes to set; then rinse off with warm water.
Did You Know? You can help avocados to ripen faster by placing them in a brown paper bag, together with an apple or banana. They should be ripe in 2-4 days.
AVO BEESWAX HAND RESCUE BALM
Soften chapped hands and rough heels with this nourishing, healing beeswax and avocado salve.
- ¼ Cup beeswax pastilles
- 1 Cup pure organic avocado oil
- 10-15 Drops grapefruit essential oil
- 10-15 Drops orange essential oil
- Heat the avocado oil & beeswax together in a double boiler, or in the microwave on high for 2 minutes, until the beeswax is completely melted.
- Mix in the essential oils.
- Pour into a clean glass jar; cover & allow it to sit overnight.
- Once the mixture cools, it’s ready to use. Will keep for 2-3 months at room temperature.
Did You Know? Avocado trees do not self-pollinate, and therefore each one needs another avocado tree close by in order to bear fruit. Avocados also grow in pairs on the trees. This led the avocado to become recognised as a symbol of love and fertility in Aztec culture. What better way to show yourself some love, than with an avocado beauty treatment?