There’s been a lot of buzz about the Derma Roller lately; so what exactly is it, what does it do and what makes it such a hot “must-have” beauty tool?
What is a Derma Roller?
As the name suggests, the Derma Roller is a tool designed to be rolled across your skin; the roller part consists of numerous tiny needles, which create tiny punctures in your skin. This “micro-needling” is a stimulating process designed to improve your skin’s tone, texture and appearance. It’s also known as CIT, or Collagen Induction Therapy.
Does Using a Derma Roller Hurt?
The process of using a Derma Roller is not painful; just slightly uncomfortable, and a strange sensation to get used to the first few times you use your roller. The discomfort should fade with each use. However, the process might leave your skin may feel slightly “sunburnt” for an hour or so afterwards; applying a cooling natural aloe gel or cream will help with this.
Why Should I Use a Derma Roller?
There are so many benefits to using a Derma Roller regularly:
- Stimulates the circulation
- Boosts production of the collagen and elastin fibres that give your skin a more youthful texture
- Plumps up your skin, reducing fine lines and deep wrinkles
- Improves the texture and tone of your skin
- Reduces the appearance of crow’s feet and laughter lines
- Helps to fade acne scars and chickenpox scars
- Reduces patches of hyperpigmentation (dark spots)
- Reduces the appearance of age spots and sun damage
- Minimises enlarged pores
- Reduces the appearance of stretch marks
- Reduces “absorption loss”; improves your skin’s ability to serums and moisturisers, helping you to maximise your entire skincare regime
- Because the Derma Roller does not use thermal heat (unlike IPL and laser therapy), it is suitable for all skin types and colours
You can also use the Derma Roller on other areas of your body to treat scarring, stretch marks, skin discoloration and even hair loss.
Which Derma Roller is Right for Me?
0.5mm: These needles are the ideal size for treating everyday skin issues like wrinkles and fine lines, pigmentation and scarring. The 0.5mm roller should ideally be used once or twice a week.
1mm: These needles go slightly deeper, which makes the 1mm model suitable for moderate to severe acne scarring, and deep lines and wrinkles. The 1mm Derma Roller should ideally be used once a week to once a fortnight.
Find a Derma Roller Online
The Hey Gorgeous Collagen Therapy Derma Roller is available in a 0.5mm and 1mm option. The Derma Roller Kit includes a 0.5mm roller with a Cooling Aloe Gel and a Vitamin E Serum, all beautifully packaged in a cute cosmetic bag.