- Colour: Dark Brown
- Contains only pure herbal ingredients, all grown in the ‘wild’ without pesticides or chemical fertilisers.
- Contains no chemical ingredients.
- Contains no bleach so cannot lighten your hair.
- Henna and indigo are the two plants that give colour.
- Contains herbal extracts such as amla, brahmi and shikakai to nourish and rejuvenate your hair and scalp, improving hair growth, preventing premature greying and removing dandruff.
- Can be used with Love My Hair Ultra Low Chemical dyes.
- Permanent to semi-permanent dye depending on hair type and lifestyle.
- The indicated colour is a general guide. Colour coverage and final colour will depend on your hair type, hair condition, previous treatments and lifestyle.
- Eco-friendly and 100% vegan.
- Approved by Beauty without Cruelty.
- Includes latex-free application gloves.
- CANSA approved.
Because Love My Hair 100% Herbal contains no harsh chemicals, results on grey hair cannot be guaranteed. Grey coverage depends on hair condition, texture, previous treatments and the percentage of grey in the hair. Grey hair that is fine in texture seems to take herbal dyes well and usually achieves good coverage in one application. Hair that is thicker in texture may need several applications.
The best colours for covering grey are Light Auburn, Flame Red and Wine Red (if you want a reddish shade) and Dark Brown (if you want a brownish shade).
Another option (if you are not allergic to hair dye chemicals) is to mix the 100% Herbal shades with the Love My Hair Ultra Low Chemical colours. For example, if you have completely grey roots and you want black hair, you can make a dye mixture of half 100% Herbal Soft black and half Ultra Black. This will give you the grey coverage you need with extremely low exposure to chemicals! You can also experiment with reducing the Ultra component of your mixture until you find a ratio that works best for you.
You can also mix the Herbal shades. For example you can make a 50:50 mixture of Herbal Dark Brown and Herbal Soft Black. This can also work well for covering grey.
When it comes to Herbal dyes, some experimentation may be necessary to find the perfect blend for your hair, but its well worth it as these dyes are so good for you!
Herbal dyes release better with heat, so sitting under a salon dryer (with the clingwrap on your head) for 1-1.5 hours gives colour coverage a huge boost.
Bear in mind that if you have used chemical dyes in the past, your hair and scalp may take a little while to adapt to the gentle nature of herbal dyes. Please be patient, your body and hair will thank you.
- You can mix the various shades to find the perfect blend for your hair.
- If products (shampoo, conditioner, wax, gel) containing silicone derivatives (eg Dimethicone) or polymers have been used on your hair, this will prevent the herbal dyes from “taking” on your hair. If silicones or polymers have been used you may need to use a clarifying shampoo before using Love My Hair dyes. Or you can switch to a silicone-free shampoo like Johnsons baby shampoo for a few washes prior to the dye application.
- If you are used to using ordinary chemical dyes, your hair may feel dry after switching to natural dye. This is normal, and a coconut oil treatment will restore moisture to your hair. Please use the organic, extra-virgin variety though.
- Herbal dyes need to oxidise after application. It can sometimes take up to 24-48 hours for your hair to attain its final colour. Please bear this in mind when planning your dye application.
- You must do a strand test before dyeing your whole head. This will determine the correct application time and give you an idea of the final colour.
- 100g is enough for one application on collar to shoulder length hair, depending on hair thickness.
- Your colour will lose intensity gradually after a few weeks, but should keep the grey coverage. Every time you use the dye the colour will get richer and more intense.
- Wait 2-4 weeks after other hair treatments before using Love My Hair.
- If your hair has been permed, bleached or straightened it is essential to do a strand test first as these treatments effect the hair structure extensively.
- Apply to freshly washed dry or slightly damp hair.
- Use a non-metallic bowl and spoon to mix the dye.
- Add between 300-380 ml of warm water to the powder and mix to a smooth consistency, similar to that of custard.
- Wearing your gloves, apply the dye to your hair in sections, starting at the roots. Apply it thickly especially on grey areas.
- Pile your hair on top of your head, cover with clingwrap and wrap a towel around your head. This keeps the dye tightly packed on your roots and also keeps your head warm which helps with dye release.
- Wipe any excess dye from your hairline and ears.
- Leave dye to develop for 1-4 hours, as determined by your strand test.
- Rinse your hair until the water runs clear (this is very important, if you don’t do this the colour may ‘bleed’ afterwards) and then shampoo and condition.
Henna (Lawsonia inermis), Indigo (Indigofera tinctoria), Amla (Emblica officinalis), Bahera (Terminalia bellirica), Harad (Terminalia chebula), Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shikakai (Acacia concinna)
14 out of 17 people would recommend this product26/11/2018, By LeeAlthough the process is tedious and one needs to leave it on for around 3 to 4 hours it's a great product. The colour is vibrant and lasts. The only reason I give 4 stars is because the herbal smell is not great, but I would rather that over chemical toxins any day.23/07/2018, By NatalieThe product is great and their customer services is absolutely amazing. I have been using it for years and it covers my greys so well.21/07/2018, By KimPricey but worth knowing you're not putting harsh chemicals on your hair :)04/03/2018, By GGGood product love it and great service thank you!!!18/11/2017, By CiskaI was very sceptical but it works great. Nice color.28/10/2017, By MoThis product appeased my need to use earth friendly and safe products. I wanted to retouch my hair to dark brown (i was looking too blonde after my last dye faded out). It is really just a henna type product which alas for me has a very reddy tint. I left the goop on my hair for 2 hours, until I couldn't take the smell any longer, it made me feel queasy sick. It turned my hair - that was previously dyed - a dark red brown, so that worked, my undyed hair didn't take the colour so well. I washed it out, and chose this product because my hair was in such amazing condition and I wanted it to stay that way, not get dried out and ruined with chemicals, and I was surprised that it dried my hair horribly. After 2 washes my hair still smells like the 'henna' dye powder goop. I can't stand the smell, it makes me feel sick, and can't wait for the stink to go away.29/07/2017, By CynI like this natural product as it conditions and covers my grey hair.25/07/2017, By ATUnfortunately this product did not cover my grey. It was a mission to apply and I left it on for 4 hours. It took about 30 minutes to rinse off. Too much time wasted for a hair colour.09/03/2017, By JVI am pleasantly surprised by this product - the first time ever I dye my own hair and it is a huge success.
Ek is baie bly ek het hierdie produk ontdek. Kan nie glo kruie kan so effektief wees om hare te kleur nie! Eer aan ons Vader wat die bestanddele van hierdie wonderlike produk gemaak het en dankie aan die vervaardigers vir hulle inisiatief en kundigheid.22/11/2016, By AdeleAfter much procrastination I finally took the plunge, and though it was rather tedious and time consuming, I am very happy with the results. I had to leave the color for the full four hours to cover my greys, but after wrapping up my hair in plastic wrap and a towel I set about my morning... The color has the most beautiful reddish undertone, which really warms up my completion and my hair is strong and healthy, and my scalp is unaffected. The best part is that the grey water could be reused in the garden. Really worth the effort and Ill be able to color my short pixie cut at least four times with a single box, which suits my pocket.11/08/2016, By TraceyMy feelings about this product are mixed. For those who are accustomed to using conventional hair dyes and/or have little time, this product will probably be very frustrating. The dye is much thicker than a chemical dye, and as such much harder to work with. It is also very time-consuming; I left it on my hair for 2.5 hours and my greys were still not covered. (I didn do the strand test though, which the instructions are VERY specific about, so my own fault!) That said, if you aren too concerned about covering grey, and can set aside an afternoon to colour your hair, you won be disappointed with the end result. My hair is very shiny and healthy, and although some of the greys weren covered, the overall colour is rich and beautiful. Some tips: 1) Make sure you do the strand test, and choose a grey area to do it, or you
e setting yourself up for disappointment; 2) The mixture needs to be like custard, but not homemade custard, ultramel!; 3) Next time I will tie all my hair up and take a small section out at a time, apply the colour, take another small section out, apply, and so on. That will make it far easier to work with and more manageable. So, all in all, follow the instructions properly, pour yourself a glass of wine, get out a good book and make an afternoon of it!11/05/2016, By annetteI love this product, it leaves my hair strong and beautiful07/10/2015, By MoniqueFirstly, the website description says it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for your hair to attain its final colour however, when you receive the product, the instructions say up to 48 hours. Secondly, the website description says use 100g of powder for one application to shoulder-length hair so I diligently bought 2 boxes for my bra-strap-length hair, but it was far too much - one box wouldve been sufficient - money and product wasted. And, lastly, dyeing my hair from brown (natural colour) to dark brown, I left it on for 90 minutes (comfortably between the 1 - 2 hour recommended time) and it came out only slightly darker - definitely not what I would call dark brown. Very disappointed about my waste of time and money.26/08/2015, By TracyDespite the awful smell of this product while applying the dye (my husband actually left the house as the smell annoyed him), it does come out with a rich colour that covered all my hair. It does not burn or sting skin or eyes, and leaves my hair smooth and silky.22/05/2015, By C LHaving unsuccessfully tried two other colours in this range without success, I was advised to try the Dark Brown to colour in my (not extensive) grey roots. I have medium brown hair. unfortunately the Dark Brown did not work either, and I now have bright orange and grey roots - very attractive! in spite of this, my hair is in excellent condition - silky, glossy, smooth and shiny - so this Henna product is of very good quality, has good quality ingredients and is healthy for the hair. I would recommend it provided the user accepts that there is no guarantee that grey roots will be coloured in.09/03/2015, By RobynI think the title describes exactly how I feel about this product. My hair was falling out in handfuls as well as being extremely dry and damaged from home dye as well as salon dyes. I decided to that I wanted to try using something more natural and began my journey with coffee rinses, henna blocks from lush none of which worked very effectively. After spending time on the internet googling henna, I came across this website and bought the above product. It has worked beautifully and I couldnt be happier using something natural with no harmful chemicals. I am a very happy customer.01/03/2015, By NadineGreat coverage.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.