Please note that this product does not fall under essential items as outlined by the government during the nationwide lockdown. It will only be available for purchase once the nationwide lockdown has been lifted.Read More
Please Note: The images shown above serve only as a general guide; because the Wonderbags are made by hand, the pattern of the fabrics may vary.
Medium Wonderbag - holds up to a 10L pot
Made with colourful shwe-shwe fabric with foam filling. Includes a toggle for easier closing.
- Convenient: Saves meal preparation time and is so easy to use
- Versatile: Can be used to cook a wide variety of your favourite meals
- Portable: Great for camping and braais
- Cost-effective: Using the Wonderbag can reduce your family's annual energy usage by up to 30%!
- Clean: Reduces the need for stove and oven use, cutting down on your household’s CO2 emissions
- Safe: Less use of stoves means fewer accidents in the kitchen
- Sustainable: Cuts down on waste, saves water and food! The constant temperature of the Wonderbag prevents burning and reduces evaporation.
- Healthy: The insulated slow-cooking process stops valuable nutrients from evaporating.
- Proudly South African.
Wonderbag founder Sarah Collins first started developing this unique slow-cooker in 2007, as a way to cope with the frequent power cuts in South Africa at the time. Sarah soon realised that this electricity-free insulated cooking bag could provide millions of people in impoverished communities with a safer, more affordable and sustainable alternative to cooking with kerosene, paraffin or wood.
Since then, the Wonderbag has been used to empower women living in rural communities around the world, giving them back time to care for their families, reducing the risk of smoke inhalation and burns, and saving them precious resources and annual income.
Try the revolutionary Wonderbag for yourself and experience a cleaner, greener way of nourishing your family!
These wholesome family recipes below are so easy to make, and show how much time you can save by using the Wonderbag:
Recipe for Brown Rice with Vegetables using the Wonderbag:
- 1 cup brown rice
- Olive oil
- 2 cups water (or vegetable stock)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup of diced carrots and celery
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat
- Add the onions and cook until soft (about 5 min)
- Stir in the vegetables and cook for about 3 minutes
- Add the rice, water and bay leaf and bring to a boil
- Boil on the stove for 5 minutes
- Place your lidded pot in the Wonderbag for a minimum of 1.5 hours to finish cooking
Recipe for Lentils Umbria using the Wonderbag:
- 4 yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, finely diced
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 500g (approx. 3 cups) of dry lentils
- 3 cups chardonnay
- 1kg of fresh, ripe cherry tomatoes, finely puréed
- 2 cups of fresh basil, finely chopped, loosely packed
- Soak the lentils overnight, drain and discard water
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot
- Add the onions & cook until soft (about 5 min)
- Add the celery & carrot, cook until soft (about 5 min)
- Add the lentils & wine, cook until the wine has evaporated, stirring frequently (about 8 min)
- Add puréed tomatoes and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium and let it bubble for about 5 min
- Place your lidded pot in the Wonderbag for 5-7 hours to finish cooking
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir in the chopped basil and serve
- Before use, remove from plastic packaging and leave to stand for a few hours; this will allow the foam to puff up.
- Prepare your food, bringing it to the boil and making sure it is heated right through. Use a pot with short handles and a tight-fitting lid.
- Place your pot with the lid on into the Wonderbag and immediately cover it with the top cushion.
- Pull the drawstring tight, firmly sealing the pot inside the Wonderbag.
- Leave the Wonderbag to cook your food!
- Note: Don’t open the Wonderbag until you are ready to serve your meal. Opening the bag while your food is cooking will cause loss of heat, and make the bag less effective.
- Use the right size pot for the amount of food you want to cook. Heat will be more effectively retained when the pot is full and sealed with a tight-fitting lid.
- There is no evaporation when cooking inside the Wonderbag, so you will not need as much liquid as you would with an ordinary cooking method.
- You can put a tea towel under the pot in your Wonderbag to protect it from any spills.
- You can hand wash your Wonderbag and hang to dry.
- Safety tip: Do not put a pot of half-eaten or lukewarm food in the Wonderbag as this will cause bacteria to breed.
- Do not use clay or ceramic pots with your Wonderbag.
- Not suitable for cast iron or copper bottom pots as they get too hot and can damage the insulation material.
- Casseroles transferred directly from the oven to the Wonderbag should not be hotter than 180°C (350°F)
31 out of 32 people would recommend this product31/03/2020, By KhoskaLove my wonderbag! It takes a bit of trial and error to learn how long certain foods cook, but once you get the hang of it, it is awesome.26/02/2020, By JiaMy rose wonderbag is so useful and so pretty to look at.17/01/2020, By SupportTop stuff08/01/2020, By CharlieDidn't expect much when I first received this as a gift, but since then its become one of my top used items in my kitchen. Now I use it on a regular basis for the past two years.
Not only does it save on gas/electricity but also serves as a wonderful slow cooker on busy days.
Perfect for making stews, soups, rice etc.
09/10/2019, By Works like a charmAmazing. Simple perfect convince.19/08/2019, By AoifeI purchased a small Wonderbag hoping it will keep my lunch warm for a few hours. Heated up the soup in the morning, packed in a glass container and into the wonderbag. At 12pm it was barely lukewarm... Not recommened.13/08/2019, By ShaneIt's really a wonderbag. It does wonders keeping the food hot for hours.09/07/2019, By SmowseWe love our wonderbag and so we are ordering our second one. Just hoping it's the same size as our last one. We use it to make yoghurt. We also use it to make bone broth and many other things which is why we need another one.07/06/2019, By NasWe cooked a delicious lamb shank meal using only half an hour of stove time (followed by 4 hours in the Wonderbag) instead of 4 hours of stove/oven time. Saved on electricity, cooked to perfection, cooked while I was out the house! I should have probably read the instructions more carefully and put something between my cast iron pot and the bag :( unfortunately I burnt off the fabric on the base but this is 100% my own fault. Fortunately the insulation is perfectly intact so i can patch it up quite easily with felt.04/06/2019, By MichaelLovely crispy texture. Fresh coconut flakes.24/07/2018, By Gavinhappy with the purchase.04/07/2018, By RazinaWonderbag is excellent buy. Food stays hot for hours. No mess. No fuss09/04/2018, By Snowflake001Besides keeping food warm & being a great energy-saver, this item is a wonderful time-saver! More time to spend with family. Great for picnics, great for entertaining, great foe everyday cooking! Have my eye out on purchasing another.20/03/2018, By JinnieHad my eye on this product a long time. Now that I've finally got one, I couldn't be happier! I've cooked ragu, pumpkin, grain & chicken stew and all turned out very flavourful.
A bunch of my family & friends are going to get these as gifts!04/03/2018, By JeannieBought the Wonderbag as a gift for a friend, it is gorgeous and I'm jellies29/11/2017, By NicoleBest gift for friends and family. Use this product all this time. Works well and so great to support local.13/11/2017, By ZestI LOVE my Wonderbag! It cooks all my favourite one-pot dishes with less water and less electricity, not to mention less fuss and bother! Think soft and creamy oatmeal or perfectly fluffy rice or barley. I've also used it to continue cooking my bone broth while I'm at work, as well as to make soups and stews. The product does exactly what it says it will. It takes up a lot of space, but it looks so pretty and saves me so much time and effort that I really don't mind having it on display. If you cook bulk meals, go camping a lot or just want to spend less time in the kitchen, don't deliberate - just get one! :)08/10/2017, By TjInitially got this for blackouts SOS situations but use it most days anyway...very handy16/08/2017, By RiëtteUsing mine every morning. Before work I make porridge (Oats, Maltabella or TastiWheat) and put it in my Wonderbag. When every one else wakes up they have theirs. The porridge stays warm and not need to re-heat.13/08/2017, By JohannDoes its job!06/07/2017, By SasaIt save the electricity and time you can do something while you are busy cooking with a wonderbag02/08/2016, By Joanne GibsonWe bought a wonderbag last year and have found it to be so useful for a number of things. We have given one to our domestic worker and they make porridge and soup with it. This last bag we bought was donated to a creche and the ladies there are over the moon as they can make the porridge at night and in the morning it is still hot enough to serve. This means they don have to get up at 4am to cook porridge anymore. It is a superb item for soups, stews, porridge and any other meal that requires slow cooking. Also brilliant if you make your own yoghurt!16/01/2016, By LoraineI decided to try oxtail in the bag... I put the pot into the bag on Thursday afternoon and took it out on Friday evening, The meat fell off the bone. Im thrilled with this product and highly recommend it.05/01/2016, By AbigailThis is the best thing since slice bread, seriously so economical and versatile. Can be use as a cooler as well.04/08/2015, By CindyWhy did I not buy one of these years ago?
Works like a charm and I am really enjoying doing my slow cooking without electricity instead of in my electrical slow cooker. Excellent to have when you know loadshedding is happening over cooking/supper time.
I have just bought a second one as a gift for my mom.
I also love that there is a strong empowerment/upliftment initiative attached to this product and that it is proudly South African.20/07/2015, By Terry BabbHow amazing is this product, what a saving of energy costs! Made a Durban curry last night, love my just discovered appropriately named WONDERbag19/05/2015, By NirvanaIt really works! So far Ive used it to cook plain rice, briyani and to finish cooking some lamb shanks after the power went out (load shedding!). Just remember to get your food good and hot before putting into the bag. I used an induction cooker when cooking the rice and although the water boiled (induction brings it to the boil really fast) I don think the internal temperature of the rice was high enough so it was slightly under cooked after an hour in the bag- Lesson learned! Also because theres little to none evaporation of liquid from the food you will have to reduce the amount of liquid that you start off with in your food. Theres also conflicting info about the use of cast iron pots in the bag- some say its the best for heat retention but this website says not to use it. I used a Staub cast iron cocotte in this for the lamb shanks and briyani and it worked brilliantly- I just put down a tea towel and a bamboo trivet underneath the pot to protect the bag. My 30 cm (8.35 L) pot just manages to fit in the bag due to the height (almost 19 cm with lid) so Im thinking a 10L pot would have to be wider not higher.05/05/2015, By AdeleMakes a great display in the kitchen and is always on hand. Works like a charm, all the flavors and colors preserved, and more time to garden, play outside or take that walk whilst the food cooks, unattended! Also great to know we
e doing our part to take the pressure of the countrys strained power grid and to minimize our impact on the environment.03/06/2014, By Hay BoxThis product is similar to the Hay Box which was used during the World War to save on costs and rationed gas / oil that was used to cook on. Love the idea.13/05/2014, By AndrewTook this with me to Afrika Burn and we had delicious hot food every day without much prep thanks to the very awesome and very clever wonderbag! Going to start using this at home too now!08/01/2014, By MarlaineEk het my Wonderbag ontvang en is gaande daaroor!!! Dankie so baie vir
wonderlike prys!!!02/01/2014, By JustineIt keeps salads(and even ice-cream) cold/ chilled- put an ice-brick under the salads. Or keep your braai meat mealies warm while you cook the rest.
My favourite use, get my stew ready in the morning before work- by the time I come home, warm delicious meal is ready!
Or start to prep just before you leave for your camping trip; by the time you arrive and set up your tent your Dahl will be ready for dinner ;-)
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.