What? It’s a six-pack of mushroom species, handpicked for their immune-enhancing properties. The pick of the six is Cordyceps sinensis. The energy generator.
Why? Medicinal mushrooms are nothing new. They’ve been used for centuries in Eastern medicine to strengthen the immune system and achieve all-round internal balance. Science is finally beginning to work out why. Well done, guys.
HOW WILL MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS HELP YOU?
Medicinal mushroom supplements have been shown to enhance immune function and help a range of conditions, including:
- Immune-system dysfunctions
- Respiratory problems
- Inflammatory and autoimmune diseases
- Cardiovascular conditions, like high cholesterol, heart disease, arrhythmias
- Liver and kidney conditions
- Diabetes and blood-sugar imbalances
- Certain cancers
WHAT ARE THE MUSHROOMS IN THE MIX?
- Cordyceps sinensis – 50% by weight
- Maitake (Grifola frondosa) – 10%
- Agaricus blazei – 10%
- Coriolus versicolor – 10%
- Reishi – 10%
- Shiitake – 10%
MAKING MOLEHILLS OF MOUNTAINS. Tibetan sherpas take Cordyceps when climbing Mount Everest. Really. This is because the mushroom helps the body to produce energy and utilise oxygen more efficiently. Imagine what it does for athletes and the elderly.
THE MAIN MUSHROOM: CORDYCEPS SINENSIS
What? You can find this mushroom growing at high altitudes in the mountains of China, Tibet and Nepal – or making up 50% of The Real Thing Medicinal Mushrooms. Whichever is easier.
What else? It was first recorded in 2800 BC in the Pen Tsao, an ancient Chinese directory of medicinal plants. And it’s been used to boost energy, immunity and stamina until today. It’s a supplement of choice for many world-class athletes.
AN INTERESTING STORY: At the 1993 World Outdoor Track and Field Championships, a team of Chinese runners outran the competition...and nine international records. Their secret? According to the coach it was a potent Cordyceps sinensis tonic. We have a winner.
WHAT’S IN CORDYCEPS SINENSIS?
- Vitamins B1, B2, B12, E, and K
- Various minerals, including magnesium, iron, zinc, selenium and calcium
- Protein and essential amino acids
- A range of sugars and polysaccharides
HOW DOES CORDYCEPS HELP YOU?
- MORE IMMUNITY. Immune function goes up and infection goes down. Cordyceps helps fight fatigue and immune-compromised states. Plus it increases the activity of superoxide dismutase, or SOD (a powerful enzyme and antioxidant).
- MORE ENERGY. 2001 study published in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine showed that Cordyceps ups the concentration of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) in cells. Actually, it increases ATP production by an amazing 29%. And because ATP is basically an energy transporter, more ATP means more energy for cells to use. Bonus.
- MORE ATHLETICISM. It’s been shown to help boost VO2 max and improve oxygen utilisation – sporty speak for saying it gives you more stamina, increased energy levels and improved endurance.
AND EVEN MORE. It’s been used clinically to help manage...
- Respiratory, renal and liver disease
- Memory loss
- Diabetes and insulin resistance – A 2002 study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that Cordyceps helps lower blood glucose levels and increase insulin sensitivity. Great for diabetics and people with insulin resistance.
- Sexual dysfunction in men – an established aphrodisiac in Eastern medicine.
- High cholesterol – a documented cholesterol lowering food, it helps increase good HDL cholesterol, decrease bad LDL cholesterol and bring extra benefit when used with cholesterol lowering meds.
- Cancer – a 1999 study in the Japanese Journal of Pharmacology showed that Cordyceps is anti-carcinogenic and anti-metastatic. It’s also widely used to boost and protect the body during destructive chemotherapy and radiation.
THE OTHER MUSHROOMS IN THE MIX At 50% of the total mix, Cordyceps is clearly the star of the show. But there is a strong backup act – five medicinal fungi at 10% each.
- Agaricus blazei 10% – Contains more of the immune-stimulating polysaccharide, beta-glucan, than any other mushroom. Also helps reduce blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure levels. Found to have an anti-cancer effect – particularly in cancers of the breast and uterus. Thought to help the immune system resist and fight cancer effectively.
- Coriolus versicolor 10%– Probably the most well-researched mushroom around – over 400 studies support its immuno-modulating action. Has anti-microbial, anti-viral and anti-tumour properties. Used to help treat respiratory, urinary and gastrointestinal infections, as well as hepatitis B and other liver diseases. Contains polysaccharide K (PSK), or Krestin, a potent compound responsible for its infection fighting talents. FACT: University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Centre reports that cancer patients who get PSK along with their surgery, chemo or radiation have longer disease-free periods and survival rates than those who don’t..
- Maitake (Grifola frondosa) – An “adaptogen” that helps balance various body system. Rich in amino acids, vitamins and minerals like potassium, calcium and magnesium. Used to help treat fatigue, hypertension and liver disease. Found to help regulate glucose, insulin, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Reishi (Ganoderma species) – It’s an antioxidant and an analgesic. Used in the treatment of infections like bronchitis and hepatitis. Can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Shown to combat allergies, fatigue, altitude sickness and low libido. FACT: Studies say that Reishi can remove or at least reduce the side-effects of chemo and radiation therapy (like hair-loss, nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite) if taken before, during and after treatments.
- Shiitake (Lentinula edodes) – Strong anti-viral action. One of very few natural vegan sources of vitamin B12. Can help in the treatment of allergies, Candidiasis, arthritis, high cholesterol and immuno-suppressive conditions. Helps strengthen the liver and treat hepatitis. Contains Lenthionine, a compound that stops platelets from clumping together and clotting. Being investigated as a potential thrombosis treatment.
WHAT MAKES MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS THE REAL THING?
What we put in Only the purest and most potent powdered medicinal mushrooms.
What we don’t put in it No gluten, binders, fillers, brown rice, maltodextrin, colorants, flavourants, preservatives or additives of any kind.
How the mushrooms are grown and made.Our mushrooms are 100% organic and full-spectrum, meaning the entire mushroom is used – both the fruit body (the part above ground) and the mycelium (an underground mass of filaments). Most mushroom supplements only include the cheaper and less nutritious mycelium. The Real Thing Medicinal Mushrooms is a more complete food.
HOW DO YOU TAKE IT?
Take 2 capsules daily. Best taken with a starchy meal. Avoid taking with fruit, which speeds up gut transit time and reduces absorption.
Per 2 casule serving:
- Cordyceps sinensis 400mg
- Maitake 80mg
- Agaricus blazei 80mg
- Coriolus versicolor 80mg
- Reishi 80mg
- Shiitake 80mg
4 out of 5 people would recommend this product14/09/2016, By JezelleAll of a sudden running up and down the stairs carrying 5 grocery bags at a time just because i can. Used to become out of breath doing 30 squats because i hardly exercised throughout my entire life. The inflammation thing i can testify to. Been a heavy smoker for 12 years. Cut down now and I also dont eat meat which I know causes inflammation due to the antibiotics the animals are subjected to. Yesterday I did my usual (usual being for the past two weeks since i started on these) 100 squats and felt a milder version of the usual heart pounding and struggling to breathe effect and realised that I had forgotten to take the daily dose. Just started ny mom on these as she has all sorts of cancers and will update with her progress. She has trouble retaining nutrients so Im busy figuring out how to remedy that as well. Pritein, carbs and fats dont digest so sugar (not fruit which contain too much fibre) is the best method currently to get things into her bloodstream. Ps. I hAte sugar and am aware of the effects thereof so this is just for now..01/09/2015, By AngeliqueFirst impressions: It hurt my stomach and made me feel a little ill and tired when I first took it. Now I only take one pill in the morning with my green tea (before breakfast), or one before bed. It does up my energy levels a bit and helps me recover from sinus-related illnesses faster. It should be notes that this is not a miracle product and consuming high doses of raw mushrooms can be bad for you. Generally, mushrooms should be cooked, because they have very tough cell walls and are indigestible according to many sources. However, since these are dried and powdered, I suppose they
e an exception, but be cautious anyway. :)
Strangely, I drink one of these when Ive eaten a naughty meal (too much oil or starch) - might only be placebo effect, though!
I prefer spirulina and the Green Power products.26/08/2014, By JonathanI have Fibromyalgia and this helps so much with boosting my energy levels - not to mention all the health benefits of these mushrooms.12/02/2014, By GillianMy father was suffering with low energy levels, some liver problems and getting over a cold that was similar to bird flu. I gave him a bottle of this magic and he came to me the next month asking me for more, and he is not a easy man to give medicine to
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.