Airtight 25L recycling bin for food waste
Ferment & then safely compost food waste
Wonderful ability to eliminate odor
Convenient size: suitable for indoors
Durable & strong: can hold up to 18kg of food waste
Includes an internal strainer to separate liquid leachate from solid food waste
Includes a tap for extracting that nourishing Bokashi juice for plants
This can be used to ferment raw & cooked food, dairy, small bones, citrus, eggshells, seafood, & meat.
Made from 65% recycled plastic that's recyclable
Made in South Africa
- Add food waste* between layers of Earth Bokashi in the recycling bin.
- Microbes in the Earth Bokashi start a fermentation process.
- Once this process is complete, empty the bin into a compost heap, bury it under the soil, feed to earthworms or make soil.
- *This includes raw & cooked food, dairy, small bones, citrus, eggshells, seafood, & meat!
How does it work?
- Bokashi bran is full of beneficial microorganisms that help to ferment food scraps; the process is anaerobic (it takes place without air), breaking down your kitchen waste into nutrient-rich soil food without letting it rot or releasing a bad odour. When your scraps have been fermented, you can then add the end product to your flower pots, compost heap or worm bin where it will then be exposed to air and small animals (worms & insects) and become compost. This is such a simple way to make your household more sustainable, and use your kitchen waste in an eco-friendly way.
Please Note: Once the Recycle Bin is full, it will need to stand unopened for 2 weeks to complete the fermentation process. Ideally, your kitchen should have 2 Bokashi Recycling Bin for Food Waste, so you can use one while the other is left to stand.
Did you know?
- For those of you who love to compost or have your own earthworm farm, you’ll know that certain food (namely bread, cooked food, citrus & meat) don’t work very well in these environments. Bokashi Recycling Bin is a great step to take before composting as the fermentation process makes these foods compatible with worm farms & compost heaps!
- The bokashi juice can be used as a soil drench and is diluted 1:300 (water: juice).
- The liquid is very acidic, hence the high dilution rate.
- Size: 25 Litre
- Dimensions: 41cm x 32cm x 32cm
- Made from 65% recycled plastic that is recyclable.
Country of Origin:
- Proudly South Africa.
128 out of 133 people would recommend this product18/04/2021, By PetraI dont know why I did not get this earlier especially when I see how much food waste was thrown away.29/03/2021, By Teresaa practical and effective idea24/03/2021, By PhyllisI have not filled it yet but when I do open there is not smell so hoping for some reward. I did not realise how much I was throwing away!11/03/2021, By Mbali-entleNo smells. Practical. This is value for money!19/02/2021, By Coral-LeeGreat product, so excited to use it. Although bokashi bran needs to be purchased separately.19/02/2021, By FrancescaBrilliant. Fits neatly in the cupboard, does not smell, ferments our organic waste as it said it would. It was nice to get this bin that has a tap on it already10/02/2021, By RosaThe Bokashi system makes it so easy to ferment and recycle and reduce domestic waste, easy and effective05/02/2021, By barefootOkay so:
1. Read the description. This is NOT a composter. It ferments, and gets waste ready to be composted or fed to worms. I just mixed mine nicely and buried it in the garden. My garden loved it!
2. There really is no smell, when it's closed properly. When you open it to add more food it smells kind of... weird. Ferment-y? But not "vrot"! I would even put this in my car to deliver the waste to my parent's compost heap, if I wanted to. If you live in an apartment and only have a balcony or a small outside area, you can legit use this without causing bad odours.
3. The "tea" also works well. But I *think* the description is wrong. Shouldn't it be ONE part "tea" to 300 parts water? Otherwise it's not exactly dilute.
4. Hardy: before it had anything in it, mine got blown around a bit by the wind, and it didn't break. Once the food starts going in though... it gets deceptively heavy.
5. The bran lasts foreeeeever. Makes this quite an affordable way of waste management. And unlike worms, it doesn't need a babysitter if you go away for the weekend.03/02/2021, By CharneLooking forward to getting my compost heap started, already seeing a big difference in my waste bins. Tap just a mission to insert26/01/2021, By Sharon5/525/01/2021, By SharonI love the tap at the bottom where you can drain off the compost tea, which can then be diluted and added to plants' watering as a fertiliser. Since I've started adding bokashi compost to my garden, the plants are flourishing and my waste has reduced so much23/01/2021, By MarcienneThis is my first bin & have only been using it for a week. Seeing other reviews (which I find very helpful when choosing a product) I did leave the bin in the sun prior to inserting the tap. Tap fits snugly & bin has been in use for a few weeks. I am following the instructions - not to put in spoilt food or oils. I’m eager to see the results & will write another review later on. Loving the idea of no smelly dustbins and living a greener lifestyle and having extra compost!15/01/2021, By MarciaThe tap is poorly designed. Not only was it hard to install, but it fell out after a few months of use, and is now lost in our compost heap. I bought two bins and the same thing happened with both of them. Without the tap, the bin is unusable as it's no longer airtight and smelly liquid leaks out of it. I also found that after the recommended two weeks in the Bokashi bin, the "pre-compost" still produces a foul smell and attracts maggots when added to the main compost pile, despite generous use of the Bokashi bran.15/01/2021, By SallyThis is our first time with the bran and bins. We do find that even with adding the bran, there are maggots in the bin and the smell is appalling - I recall reading that there is no odour with the use of the bran. We will see the results when the bin is full and producing the liquid.06/01/2021, By RiëtteWas very impressed with my first bin and decided to buy another one while waiting for the first one to do it's job.06/01/2021, By MiliService was great. Price was good. The personal handwritten note was special. Haven’t started using it, but looks great so far.10/12/2020, By KristyIf you want to be sustainable, this is the way! Very happy with this bin, you can recycle ALL your food waste. Easy to use.25/11/2020, By NicoleIf you get your bin with the tap detached, you just have to run hot water over the plastic seal in the bucket to loosen it. Was confused when I got mine and had to attach the tap (others of the same brand I had bought in the past came assembled). Absolutely must have!19/11/2020, By SharifaThis is my second bin. My daughter gifted me the first one. Excitedly waiting for my first batch of compost to be completed.15/11/2020, By JxL14/11/2020, By NalediQ13/11/2020, By EmmaG07/11/2020, By MileI really like this, the tap was a bit difficult to put in and the bin smelled a bit when you open it to throw new waste in. But other than that, I love it!30/10/2020, By NIcoleLove this product. bought 2 and bran, is excellent,well made highly recommend it really works!30/10/2020, By NIcoleLove this product. bought 2 and bran, is excellent,well made highly recommend it really works!26/10/2020, By IllyanUseful25/10/2020, By MienWorks for me25/10/2020, By gillianStarted using the bin and super excited to see results soon22/10/2020, By LilyA great product indeed. My little vege garden loves the tea from Bokashi bin.14/10/2020, By LizelThis is a great product, reduced my waste and does not stink up the place at all so can keep it inside my house without any worries.04/10/2020, By NadiaGreat product... you really reduce you waste with this. Everything can go in the recycling bin. Top with a handful of bokashi probiotic then when the bin is full let it ferment for two weeks. They call this mix pre-compost. It can be added to your compost hip or put in a hole is your garden and after two weeks under ground... compost23/09/2020, By HannelieGreat product, I would however recommend purchasing the 2.5L Bokashi food collection container to use alongside the larger bin for convenience.15/09/2020, By CarmenThis has been such a great thing for our household!
The only issues I have are that the lid is so hard to open and the tap was difficult to get in.10/08/2020, By PippaAbsolutely love this! Tap was kind of hard to insert but putting the tap in hot water definitely helped. Couldn't recommend enough.29/07/2020, By OceanFills a void26/07/2020, By JessThe easiest way to make the most incredible plant food! No smell at all. Makes recycling food waste an absolute breeze!23/07/2020, By SaraWas difficult to get tap in but once its in its straight forward.11/07/2020, By AnonymousImpossible to get the tap in!26/06/2020, By StefanThis bokashi bin is perfect: simple, inexpensive, and does what it says. Mine included a full set of instructions, and the tap---while tight---goes in with a good shove.26/06/2020, By AbiSo simple to assemble. Compact enough to keep in your kitchen, for easy waste removal. No smell. Makes throwing old food convenient, minus the the guilt, because you are recycling your food.19/06/2020, By IlzeThis is such a lovely product. Especially for our small rental home, a great way to dispose our food waste.15/06/2020, By KateSo far so good. Strong material, easy to use. The tap was a bit of a challenge to attach but eventually got it.11/06/2020, By KimJust set up my Bokashi recycling bins. Love them. Easy and convenient. Cannot wait to use the "juice" in my veggie garden.09/06/2020, By CynthiaBargain buy07/06/2020, By MarisaStruggled a bit to put the tap on but figured it out and was so excited to start using my bucket. I've already reduced my food waste and there's no smell in my kitchen anymore. I want to get another one to have on standby before this one is full so that this one can ferment for two weeks in peace.04/06/2020, By YolisaAssembly of buckets is easy. The buckets hold a load amount of food waste and if you compress with hand each time you add food waste one bin can be used for an entire month. If closed tightly with every addition of food waste it not mold will grow and the fermentation smell tells you its good. Fertilizer made every week and my vegetables look amazing. Its food waste is broken down faster than traditional compost piles and since buying my bins i have been able to enrich my vegetable beds almost every 6 weeks when they have no vegetables growing. We use 2 refuse bags weekly but now we remove half a bag.02/06/2020, By JanelleLove this product! It works so well with my anxious doggy! He has one everyday and absolutely loves sweet time when he knows it's time for one of these!28/05/2020, By AshleySolid bucket23/05/2020, By JoniI live in a townhouse and this has helped me to reduce my food waste. The only challenge is ‘composting’ the contents of the bin after the bokashi juice has been produced.14/05/2020, By VicLove this product so much. It's taken away the guilt I used to feel for not disposing of my food waste properly. Easy to assemble.09/05/2020, By RealHeavy duty01/05/2020, By MarieEasy to assemble and use (review tips of inserting the tap after heating with boiling water works well). No smell or leaking. Greatly reduces municipal waste. This is my second bin (you really need two so that you can fill up the one and leave the other to ferment) and the tap design on this one is better than the other brand. For our household of two it takes about two months to fill up the bin. We keep a 1L tub in the fridge and put food waste into this and once full put the waste in the bokashi bin. Next we want to get a small bokashi bin that we can keep in the kitchen and empty into the large one outside. Also want to get a earthworm farm so we can feed the bokashi contents to them. A must have for anyone that gardens.28/04/2020, By HappyVery convenient27/04/2020, By CandyBig man24/04/2020, By AnmareTap difficult to insert. No ‘how to use’ pamphlet. Still excellent product.22/04/2020, By PhillipOur last one broke so I had to get a new one. I guess we wore it out because it's just that good. Perhaps a stronger material can be used to manufacture the bins as they don't seem to last that long in areas with warmer weather. Otherwise we love being able to cleanly compost with out Earth Probiotic Bokashi Recycling Bin!22/04/2020, By DelmeBought the Bokashi recycle bin and having trouble inserting the tap part. Any suggestions?
Would love to start using it soonest.17/04/2020, By Caththis is my second bin, bokashi simplifies it for you. But I would recommend watching a tutorial as you can do it wrong.04/04/2020, By BlueMuch less refuse now that the peels are being popped in01/04/2020, By WinnerNice big sized unit01/04/2020, By WinnerSimplifies the process29/03/2020, By Hayleyreally great product...EXCEPT the tap is very tricky to insert and it doesn't really come with instructions...
so the most useful way is pouring some hot water over the plastic combined with blunt force. After that it worked perfectly!15/03/2020, By JodieGood product but it should come with instructions on it on how to put the tap in. It was extremely difficult and ended up having to poor boiling water over the entry point28/02/2020, By Pixie~KEasy to manage, ordered 3 bins. Going to be interesting how well it composts along with the Probiotic Earth.19/02/2020, By AndreWorks well so far. Would only like the supports under the strainer to be more sturdy, as not to worry that they might break when pressing out the air from the food scraps inside.18/02/2020, By MiriamWorks great, doesn't smell at all. I collect food waste in a container in the fridge throughout the day and only open the bin once. Very happy with this solution.04/02/2020, By MARLENEBin leaked around tap fitting, found brown smelly liquid all over the kitchen floor. Tap did not seal properly even though we took great care inserting tap03/02/2020, By AlexEasy to understand and very thorough instructions so it was quick to set up. I'm loving how much of my food waste I can recycle! It is also very easy upkeep (I have two bins to alternate which the one is full).23/01/2020, By LillyWorks great, my mom loves it!16/01/2020, By LisaSo far so good. We produce so much less waste now that we use the Bokashi bin. And after it's done fermenting, we put it on our compost heap and it breaks down SO quickly. So happy with how little waste we are producing overall as a family with all the other recycling we also do, and now THIS.14/01/2020, By SupportFree compost26/12/2019, By PennyI am enjoying this. Simple to use. Air tight and no bad smells. Will be buying a second one soon.14/12/2019, By LaraThis is my second bucket because the first one needs to rest now.
I am very happy with it.
Seals very well, doesnt allow bad smell to come out but my bokashi never has juice :(Not happy, the acid runoff has actually eroded the plastic at the bottom which means I have to deal with continuous smelly leakage25/11/2019, By NoshiI was very happy initially but the product has started leaking. It seems the acid waste runoff is actually eroding through the plastic. So now I have a smelly mess to deal with. I have the green vizion Bokashi bin and haven’t experienced any issues with that. Perhaps since the plastic on that one seems way more durable21/11/2019, By BellaI am so happy with this product and so proud that I can make good use of all the kitchen waste. Its a nice and clean method to use in the kitchen. I got about 2L of liquid fertiliser from each bin and am about to dig out my first compost. Really easy and rewarding system.08/11/2019, By AENGreat product, prefer the round shape over the older square shape. Very durable!06/11/2019, By LisaSo far so good. Amazing how much food goes into the bin! I'm glad I'm using it in a productive way. Can't wait to reap the benefits!13/10/2019, By ShereenEasy to put together, good size and really great idea of a product.30/09/2019, By LeratoBought this for the first time not sure how this thing works and did not buy the Bran to sprinkle over the food waste. I struggled to insert the tap but left the Bin outside in the sun for ten minutes then I managed.29/09/2019, By BokukaIt’s my first time composting so I went with this bucket because I can use the composting tea on my herbs due to the tap on the bottom. Right now I love it12/09/2019, By VThis is the second bokashi I have purchased so that I can continue whilst waiting for the final 2 week ferment. The tap was really difficult to insert but I guess that provides a snugger fit.05/09/2019, By AmiExactly what I wanted, although I struggled with to insert the "tap"03/09/2019, By JanaLove the product - will buy another one, but fill it fast! A Big Stink if you don't fill it up within a month or two.26/07/2019, By ChristyI absolutely love this clever creation! No more food waste going into normal rubbish and absolutely NO smell from the bucket! Can’t wait for my first tea and compost to be ready next week. I ordered another Bokashi which I use now while my other one is composting!
Highly recommend this product. Very easy to store.
Note that you need to purchase the Bokashi bran separately.25/07/2019, By CarleeI love my bokashi, but I wish the tap was a bit lower down. I struggle to get the bokashi tea drained properly, and have to tilt the bin. Otherwise, it's wonderful. Big enough and also does not smell!22/07/2019, By "Go Organic"The health of our human Microbiome, is no different to the health of our soils Microbiome! As such, composting and a garden "free of all harmful" Herbicides, Pesticides and Insecticides is the norm in my garden!
It was a magical day when Faithful to Nature recently had a special on the Earth Probiotic Bokashi Bins and Earth Bokashi Bran! Without hesitation I immediately purchased 2 x 25L“Earth Probiotic Bokashi Recycling Bins and Earth Bokashi Bran to allow for rotational Bokashi Bin composting!
Excellent dual composting and liquid fertilizer concept! The quality of the Bins and Tap fittings are of a high standard! The enclosed Bokashi and Assembly Brochures are informative and "user friendly"
22/07/2019, By AzzyI'm so excited for my first compost tea! The bin is easy to set up and to use, and I love that my scraps can now be put to good use. Definitely going to get another one soon21/07/2019, By CecileWorks very well - have bought 3 to be able to keep adding kitchen scraps while the full ones can do their "work" for 2 weeks or longer21/07/2019, By KellyThis product is reasonably priced, easy to use and reduces waste that would normally go into a rubbish bin. It is small enough that it can fit in your kitchen and once full be placed outside for the two weeks required. I am very happy with this product and have already recommended it to others.12/07/2019, By JanaI just got my Bokashi and I was so excited to start collecting food waist! The set up was quick and easy. Will definitely purchase a second one to alternate while fermentation is in progress. Thanks FTN!!11/07/2019, By CatherineReally easy to use composting system. No odours or flies! I love it!07/07/2019, By ElaineSo easy to use. Makes composting a breeze, and handily right in your kitchen.
Absolutely no odours or flies.27/06/2019, By NicoletteSo I got my first bin and it works so well - I just had to get another one. My first bin is composting away and my kitchen is clean. No smells!21/06/2019, By TaylaOwing to the fact that I live in an apartment, composting was never a viable option for me. I'm so grateful that this Bokashi bin makes composting a practice that is accessible to everyone. The container is easy to set up, and leaves NO odour in my flat once the lid is closed.20/06/2019, By AmeliaWe are a family of six so our bucket filled up quickly and I had to buy another one. As a result the first bucket is now in its two week decomposing stage and bucket number two is in the kitchen. The kids have been amazed at how much food we waste so we are looking at ways to reduce food waste so that we don’t fill our bucket up before the other bucket is free again.19/06/2019, By SuzetteGreat product for someone who goes on a quilt trip every time food goes too waste. We had a little trouble fixing the tap to the bucket, but this at least gave me the reassurance that it is not going to leak.
Tip# Place the bottom half (the piece that must enter the bin) of the tap in warm (boiled) water as too soften the plastic, thus making it much easier to fit on the bin.17/06/2019, By ShezExcellent product. Sturdy, well made, well priced. We love it...now have 2!
Love that it is made in SA.12/06/2019, By NicoletteI am totally getting myself a 2nd bin!! These are super awesome bins - no smells, no flies, no mess - no fuss!20/05/2019, By lollaQuick service from FtN as always. I have used this system now for 4 days and it has made a massive difference to the amount of waste in my garbage bin. It does not smell at all, is easy to assemble. I can see in this short period already how much less garbage bags I will be using!09/05/2019, By MadnixThis works very well with no smell as long as you use enough Bokashi. Not got much tea from it?08/05/2019, By ShezVery impressed with product and pricing03/05/2019, By RoxanneThis is the 3rd bin I have purchased. (I gave 2 away as gifts). Everyone has been happy so far, so I purchased one for myself. I have been using the product for a month now and it says to regularly drain off nutrient rich Bokashi tea, however I have not had any tea yet. I hope that I am using it correctly. The actual Bokashi Probiotic has an interesting smell, so I keep it in the garage. And the food waste has zero bad odour (Sweet Fermented Smell) so I am happy.10/04/2019, By ShanéSuch a simple way to have a waste-free kitchen, while feeding your garden at the same time. Great investment for the home.25/03/2019, By RowenaIt's so good to know that we are giving back to the earth. I'm loving our bokashi bins04/03/2019, By SianThis is great if you want a compost heap but you want it to be as mess-free as possible. I really like the tap at the bottom. It seals well.26/02/2019, By GillStruggled to get the one tap in the bottom. Otherwise all is well and I’m sure my plants are going to thank me22/02/2019, By ZsuzIt's a nice size if you do not have a huge garden, relatively easy to assemble (I struggled with the tap at the bottom. the "10 mins in the sun" suggestion didn't work, so I lit a candle, that helped).
So far no smells and easy use!31/01/2019, By SusanI'm excited to join the Bokashi family and look forward to a much happier, healthier garden!23/01/2019, By AmyGreat product and easy to use even on a small property.21/01/2019, By JessicaThis was so much fun to do and so simple as well! Highly recommend12/12/2018, By ChrissyThe bin fills up fast if you like to eat your daily veg and fruit, so best to buy 2 bins. Really does what it says. No smell. My llants love the compost tea.13/11/2018, By YumnaIt is a good size, and much cheaper than alternative Bokashi bins I've seen.09/11/2018, By AngelSo far so good, been using v the bin for a week now. Odour free and easy to get used to using.
Thank you for bringing awareness.06/11/2018, By MegzI love this recycling bin, and am so excited to have gotten started with home composting, It's still early days, but the bin is a great size big enough but still compact enough to store indoors, it seals great so no smells. I love that my kids are also learning to reduce waste and live more mindful of the environment, this might be a small start but its and easy start to what might seem like a daunting task of living more green.25/10/2018, By JimGreat product25/10/2018, By EliznaWe have two, works well. Quick to get used to using it. We also have the Compost bag from Earth Probiotic to turn the food waste and garden waste into compost! Definitely recommend!17/10/2018, By MelissaWe have been using the Bokashi system for just over a month and it has greatly reduced our waste to landfill, I especially love the fact that meat and bones can also be fermented. No bad smells and we have already started treating our garden with the tea. We purchased two bins and are now patiently awaiting our first batch of compost.13/10/2018, By CindyFeels great doing my bit for the environment.20/08/2018, By Michelle LouiseThis is a great buy and a perfect way to keep the flow of giving back to the soil. And it really doesn't smell bad at all. What's really great is that you can add all of your food scraps, not just fruit and veg.04/08/2018, By KathrynWe keep this bin in our kitchen and add our daily food waste once a day. No bad smells, no hassle. The two tubs of bokashi meal have lasted at least four months! The end product then gets added to our larger compost outside after its done its thing. Love having a use for our food waste. Wonderful product!02/08/2018, By LizzyHi everyone,
Please can you help me by explaining how this works and what I will need? Also, what foods can be recycled?
Thank you30/07/2018, By mbaliOh Wow I like this though it is a bit small since I use a lot of fruit and veggies everyday as a vegan but overall it is good to have and no ordoursrs any more that I am excited about it27/05/2018, By RitaWe just love our Earth Bokashis, I would recommend that you buy two so that you can alternate between bins. Also a good tip, we use old yoghurt containers to throw everything in at first (which we then keep in the fridge) so that we only open our Bokashi every two days to make sure that it is not constantly exposed to air.
We never realised just how much food we were throwing away that could be perfectly good compost. No stinky refuse bins anymore which is fantastic!18/05/2018, By AngeliqueVery nice and convenient.14/04/2018, By JenniferWe have been recycling our leftovers in our compost for a while now, but having this bucket and Bokashi makes it SO much easier!11/04/2018, By Luka DawnEasy to assemble, easily integrated into my family and my daily life.
Fills up quite quickly, definitely going to need a second one to use during the 2 week fermentation process. I would recommend buying two from the start so that there is no lag between compost hauls.11/04/2018, By FSThis is a huge help with household composting. We just got a third one.31/03/2018, By ZonelleFantastic, your garden will love you for this!22/03/2018, By Sherryworks well; would definitely recommend.05/03/2018, By LindieI bought two of these for a family member but ended up keeping one since the bin had a leaking tap. The staff here at Faithful to nature sorted it out real quick with the suppliers and the replacement parts was delivered to my door within a few days. My other Bokashi bin is much smaller and fits great into my small kitchen. I now use this much bigger extra bin to store the bokashi in the garage once my kitchen bin is full. After 2 additions I store for an additional 2 weeks before feeding to my worms and working into my soil. Happy Happy happy.30/11/2017, By SamEssential to have in the kitchen08/07/2017, By SueI love this system and how easy it is to use. Well worth the initial outlay!25/06/2017, By AyandaI'm long overdue for a 3rd one.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.