PLEASE NOTE BEFORE PURCHASING: We will not accept returns of any feminine hygiene, menstrual or intimate products such as reusable pads, menstrual cups and sponges, yoni eggs or underwear.
- Pack of 2 menstrual sponges; 1 small & 1 extra-large
- The different sizes are suitable for different times in your cycle
- Each sponge can be used for 3-6 menstrual cycles
- Packaged in a biodegradable eco-plastic bag
- Comes with a detailed information leaflet with all the info you need
All Woman-Kind products are hygienically packaged in biodegradable eco-plastic packets from Green Home.
What makes “sponge tampons” better than ordinary tampons?
- Free of synthetic fibres, bleaches, chlorine & harsh pesticides
- Gentle on delicate vaginal skin; don’t dry & abrade the skin as tampons do
- Can be reused multiple times, saving money & waste
- Ultra-soft, comfortable & absorbent
- Hygienic & easy to clean, dry & care for
- Easy to dispose of at the end of the life-cycle; 100% biodegradable
- These sponges are a sustainably harvested natural resource
- They break down naturally and will nor pollute the water supply or landfills
Sea sponges have the ability to regenerate from fragments left from the original sponge. When a sponge is correctly harvested, the base of the sponge remains intact, so that it has the ability to regrow, and can be harvested again and again.
Sea sponges and veganism:
By definition, sea sponges are classified as animals and not plants; however, sponges have no organs, brains or nervous systems, meaning that they do not feel any pain. When they are correctly harvested, sea sponges are not injured or damaged; they grow back stronger, and also release spores to form new sponges. This process is similar to pruning a plant in order to keep it healthy. Some vegans might feel that using a natural sea sponge contradicts the vegan belief system or lifestyle; while some others may not. The choice is yours to make.
Sea sponges and TSS:
Always be aware of the symptoms of TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome); this is a rare condition associated with internal menstrual products. Because sea sponges are natural and do not cause dryness or abrasion, they are less likely than ordinary tampons to trigger TSS.
Before first use:
- Check and clean your sponges before the first time you use them. You may find small particles of shells and coral in the sponges; simply rinse and rub these out of the sponge.
- Like tampons, sea sponges are not sterile. Soak your sponge in a cup of warm water with a little vinegar to disinfect it, then allow it to air-dry.
- Wet your sponge with warm water until soft. Squeeze out the excess water.
- Squash the sponge and gently insert it as you would a tampon, until it feels secure.
- You can also trim the perimeter of your sponge a little at a time, until you are comfortable with the size.
- Feel for the perimeter of the sponge, grasp it and pull gently; sponges are delicate and can tear quite easily.
- During your cycle, simply remove and rinse your menstrual sponge with warm water, with every trip to the toilet, or when the sponge is full.
- Gently squeeze out the excess water before re-inserting the sponge.
- Between each cycle, disinfect your sponge.
- Do NOT use soap or detergent.
- Soak the sponge in warm water and vinegar for 10 minutes, then leave to air-dry.
- You can also add a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil to the water when disinfecting your sponges.
1 out of 2 people would recommend this product
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.