What? PRO-biotics are live bugs (like good bacteria or yeasts) that benefit the host they live on (like you). PRE-biotics are the foods that benefit the bugs that benefit you. Simple.
What else? When probiotics and prebiotics are combined in a supplement (like this one), it’s called a SYN-biotic. As in SYN-ergy.
So what? The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic is a synbiotic that contains nine strains of healthy bacteria and a probiotic yeast. More specifically it contains 20-billion colony forming units per dose – about 20 times more than the average probiotic. It also packs in chicory Inulin and oligofructose prebiotics. PRO + PRE = SYN. Simple.
WHAT’S A COLONY FORMING UNIT? It’s a measure of the number of live, viable microbials in something. And, clearly, you want lots of these in your probiotic supplement, if not in your soup. Most probiotics contain 100-million to 1-billion CFUs per dose. The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic contains 20-billion. Bingo.
HOW WILL PRO-PROBIOTIC HELP YOU?
Stress, prescription drugs, Alcohol, a high-fat diet, too much red meat and too little dietary fibre can allow bad gut bacteria to overgrow and take over the gut. This can lead to digestive problems like infections, lactose intolerance, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, Candida and reduced absorption of nutrients. Unless you put more good guys in.
Here’s what good-guy bacteria can do
1. INHIBIT BAD BACTERIA. They take all the nutrients and out-compete unhealthy bacteria – some probiotics even lower the pH to inhibit bad microflora and produce bacteriocins, natural antibiotic substances against harmful bugs like Candida albicans, Salmonella, E coli and Staph aureus.
2. ANSWER ANTIBIOTICS. Antibiotics kill bacteria, but don’t know how to tell the good from the bad. This means they can upset the system and your stomach. Studies have shown that replacing the beneficial bacteria with a probiotic can prevent antibiotic-induced diarrhoea.
3. IMPROVE IMMUNITY. Good bacteria work with the immune system on multiple levels. They’re practically honorary members of the team. Here’s why...
- Physical protection. Probiotic bacteria line the mouth, nose, oesophagus, lung cavity and digestive and urinary systems. They form a physical barrier between bad bacteria and the bloodstream. Like a living layer of Clingfilm.
- More immune cells. Research has shown that probiotics help increase the number of T and B lymphocytes produced to fight the body’s battles.
- More immune activity. They stimulate cells to produce antibodies against foreign invaders and immune messenger proteins called cytokines that help coordinate the immune response.
- More killer cell activity. Probiotics don’t just stimulate T-cells and B-cells to do their thing. They also push other immune cells, like macrophages and natural killer cells, to do theirs – namely to attack, engulf and swallow harmful microorganisms, toxins and cancer cells. It’s called phagocytosis, which means “cell eating”. And probiotics get cells eating more.
4. ENHANCE NUTRITION. More good bacteria in the gut promote the absorption of nutrients from food – especially minerals like iron, Calcium, Magnesium and zinc. They also produce nutrients themselves, including B vitamins, folic acid, and antioxidants like vitamin K.
5. LOWER CHOLESTEROL. Research has shown that probiotics can lower bad LDL cholesterol and raise good HDL cholesterol levels. They do this by helping to decrease synthesis and enhance removal of the offending fat. Lactobacilli are also thought to help reduce high blood pressure.
6. FIGHT TOXIC NITROSAMINES. They suppress the production of nitrosamines in the intestines and help to degrade these cancer-causing compounds.
7. PREVENT AND TREAT...
ESSENTIAL WITH ANTIBIOTICS. A 2008 study from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York concluded that the right dose of probiotics will prevent antibiotic-induced diarrhoea. What’s the right dose? More than 5-billion colony-forming units per day for children, and more than 10-billion colony-forming units per day for adults.
WHAT’S IN PRO-PROBIOTIC?
1. THE PROBIOTICS
All the microorganisms in PRO-Probiotic are pros at improving digestion and immunity (as mentioned above). But each one also has its own special talents.
2. AND THE PREBIOTICS
What? Technically, prebiotics are soluble, non-digestible dietary fibres that good bacteria cling to and feed on.
How? Practically, because they’re non-digestible, prebiotics move through the gut without being broken down. Then they stick around to be fermented in the colon. This means good bacteria have more to eat for longer. The healthy flora flourish.
Which ones? The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic has packed a two-course meal for the bacteria on board. It contains a unique combination of two natural prebiotics extracted from the chicory root:
1. Inulin (50%). When the good Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria digest Inulin, they increase in volume by 5 to 10 times. Also, bifidobacteria combined with Inulin, produce short-chain fatty acids that lower the pH in the gut. This both inhibits bad bacteria and promotes Calcium and Magnesium absorption. Good stuff.
2. OLIGOFRUCTOSE (50%). It’s a particularly good substrate for bifidobacteria. But it doesn’t just provide a space for the bugs to bind to, it also stimulates their activity by several hundred percent.
WHAT DO THESE PREBIOTICS DO?
INTERESTING FACT: The average human body is made up of about 1013 (or about ten trillion) cells. But the number of microorganisms in the average gut is equal to about ten times that. Nothing average about that.
WHAT MAKES PRO-PROBIOTIC THE REAL THING?
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Probiotics have been shown to ease IBS and protect against gastrointestinal upsets, abdominal pains and constipation.
- Lactose intolerance. Most of the lactobacilli actually produce lactase, an enzyme that breaks down milk Sugar, or lactose, into simpler Sugar. This helps lactose intolerance and general digestion of dairy.
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs). Good bacteria inhibit the bad ones that cause vaginal and urinary tract infections, including vaginal candidiasis, or thrush.
- Allergies and inflammation. Probiotics can help relieve allergic reactions and intestinal inflammation in people with food allergies, “leaky gut” or eczema. A Finnish study published in 2001 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that, because probiotics influence the release of proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines they can help treat inflammation and hypersensitivity reactions in the gut.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus : Particularly famous for replacing the friendly bacteria that get fried by antibiotics, Produces bacteriocins against harmful bacteria and fungi, Produces Lactic Acid that changes the pH in the gut – bad bacteria hate it, Also promotes dairy digestion by producing lactase, an enzyme that breaks down the milk Sugar lactose into simple Sugar, Proven to help reduce high blood pressure
- Bifidobacterium longum: Present in large numbers in the large intestine, Prevalent in breast-fed babies – it’s one the first bacteria to colonise the gastrointestinal system, Produceslactic acid to lower the intestinal pH and repel bad organisms
- Bifidobacterium bifidum: Found mainly in the large intestine and vaginal tract, Prevalent in breast-fed infants – in fact, it helps babies to gain weight, Absorbs lots of the ferrous ions bad bacteria use for fuel, Helps to lower serum cholesterol
- Lactobacillus sporogenes: A spore-forming bacteria found mostly in the small intestine, Manufactures the B vitamins, folic acid and various bacteriocins, Produces helpful digestive enzymes like amylase, protease and lipase
- Lactobacillus casei: Found mostly in the intestine and mouth, Complements the growth of L.acidophilus, Contributes to pH control by producing Lactic Acid, Improves lactose intolerance, constipation and flatulence
- Lactobacillus paracasei: Found naturally in yogurt, raw milk and fermented products, Active in the small intestine, Enhances gut and immune functions, Helps prevent diarrhoea
- Lactobacillus plantarum: Commonly found in Korean kimchi, sauerkraut, cultured vegetables and human saliva, Helps ease symptoms of Crohn's disease, Helpful in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and colitis
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus: Found primarily in the small intestine and vaginal tract, Contributes to pH control by producing Lactic Acid, Keeps bad bacteria at bay in both the small and large intestine, Helps create an environment that promotes beneficial bifidobacteria
- Streptococcus thermophiles: Found in fermented products and used in the production of yoghurt, Produces bacteriocins and reduces risk of Salmonella, E. coli and Candida infections, A Lactic Acid producing bacterium that helps balance the intestinal pH, Helps with dairy digestion and lactose intolerance
- Saccharomyces boulardi: A non-pathogenic, non-toxic probiotic yeast, Produces Lactic Acid and some B vitamins, Helps protect the gut from infections liek cholera by amoebas and cholera, Helps in the treatment of IBS, inflammatory bowel disease and acute gastroenteritis in kids, Helps prevent traveller’s diarrhoea, HIV/Aids-related diarrhoea and antibiotic-induced diarrhoea, Stimulates the intestinal epithelial cells secrete antibodies for the local immune response
- PROMOTE PROBIOTICS. Extensive testing and more than 15 human volunteer studies have confirmed that our Inulin and oligofructose prebiotics make excellent energy and growth sources for beneficial flora like bifidobacteria.
- INCREASE Calcium, IMPROVE BONES. They’ve also been proven to increase Calcium absorption from the normal diet in adolescents. The results? A 45% increase in bone mineral density and a 15% increase in bone mineral content after one year. Great news for growing bones. Perhaps more significantly, these prebiotics have also been found to improve Calcium absorption by 20% and Magnesium absorption by 10% in post-menopausal women. Great news for osteoporosis prevention.
- PREVENT COLORECTAL CANCER. Perhaps the greatest news about our Inulin-oligofructose combo is that it helps protect against colorectal cancer when combined with probiotics in a synbiotic. Trials have shown that this synbiotic helps stop damage to cells and cell DNA in the colon. It also enhances the immune response and reduces the division and proliferation of damaged cells.
- What we put in it. Nothing but billions of colony forming units of beneficial probiotics with a chicory Inulin, oligofructose prebiotic of 100% vegetable origin.
- What we don’t put in it. No binders, fillers, colourants, flavourants, preservatives, tableting aids or additives of any kind.
- How it’s produced. All production and preparation is done according to Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) standards. Plus the prebiotic is also extracted from chicory root using hot water and a gentleextraction process that’s optimised for safety.
- How it’s packed. The probiotics are presented in a veggie capsule and kept refrigerated at all times to maintain viability.
HOW DO YOU TAKE IT?
Take 1 capsule daily, before a meal (ideally first thing in the morning), or consult your health care practitioner. To maintain viability, keep refrigerated.
Pleasse note: These products should be kept refrigerated but they can be kept for up to 2 weeks at room temperature, therefore the quality will not be affected during the shipping process.
88 out of 92 people would recommend this product20/03/2021, By JameelaGreat Product! Also loved the discount when purchasing more than 2 of these products. Was a little skeptical about lack of refrigeration when shipped, but its all good.
02/03/2021, By EmmaLove this brand full stop.03/02/2021, By VireshI love this stuff. I’d buy this over and over again!02/02/2021, By Bianca5/531/01/2021, By NikiJayBThis is incredible - it stopped my heartburn symptoms in their tracks. I take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach as per the instructions. Heartburn had plagued me even when I ate things as basic as Provitas - it was ridiculous - I had to take several Gaviscon every single night. Literally two days of taking this, my heartburn stopped and I have not had it since. I'll never stop using this.27/01/2021, By LDefinitely seen an improvement in bowel function after heavy antibiotic use. Good option for rebuilding gut health.26/01/2021, By BeeVery effective product as part of gut restoration. Always consult a doctor for effective treatment. Needs to be kept in the fridge. Fridge stored probiotics are often better quality.20/01/2021, By Sauda5/509/01/2021, By HelenGreat product08/01/2021, By AsavelaNot as effective as liquid probiotics but it helps with cramps.04/01/2021, By SandraWould def buy again, thanks!05/12/2020, By HeellayahHighly recommend it.14/11/2020, By RemellB13/11/2020, By LiaL13/11/2020, By MerissaThats not low26/10/2020, By Not A RobotExcellent26/10/2020, By MarielVery good26/10/2020, By MienQuality supplement25/10/2020, By NicciFantastic product09/10/2020, By RichardAmazing probiotic supplement04/09/2020, By RudyI have tried so many probiotics but nothing compares to The Real Thing. This probiotic has helped me in many positive ways, a must for everyone to maintain a healthy gut.29/08/2020, By Agreat25/08/2020, By MarlizeI wamt21/08/2020, By ChristineReally good for my gut, a must have in my daily diet31/07/2020, By Shana DanielleA high dose and best variety of probiotic strains I've found27/07/2020, By RudolphUnfortunately these pills are being delivered unrefrigerated. As such, the probiotics are probably dead the time it gets delivered.29/06/2020, By Lynda-anneGreat to find a synbiotic product that isn't full of fillers and preservatives.24/06/2020, By SueOne of the best probiotics I've tried and so convenient to take! I'm definitely sticking to this.31/05/2020, By CandiceExcellent09/05/2020, By Lin#Like. What is also nice about this product is that I can open the capsule and mix it into my smoothy or cereal.09/05/2020, By RealSuccessful04/05/2020, By CaseyThey are great28/04/2020, By ChaneNot bad21/04/2020, By LeightonExpensive, but good06/04/2020, By HenryI like it03/04/2020, By Sarah-LeighGood but I found a better one for cheaper and don't have to keep in fridge30/03/2020, By VerenaBeen using for a month now and has settled my stomache quite a bit .Ordered again.15/03/2020, By ZukiswaSpent some without using it as it is quite expensive, I could feel the advantages if not taking it13/03/2020, By MichelleI bought these based on the recommendation from a friend who had great success with them. She bought them out of a fridge in a retail store.
There is a big sticker on the bottle saying that they have to be kept in the fridge - mine arrived warm after going to courier depot, travelling in a hot courier van etc... no coldpack or any kind of insulation around them. I guess I now have an expensive bottle of dead cultures :( First time that I have been disappointed in FTN.11/03/2020, By RemellInitially I was skeptical because it was out of the fridge during travel time BUT I was pleasantly surprised but its efficacy. Made soy yoghurt using the capsules and it was perfect.04/03/2020, By GoNot sure02/02/2020, By KarienDelivery of this product kills the product when label states keep in fridge yet its delivered by courier in no specail container or packet to keep it cool after 2 couries travel time from capetown to Jhb very disapointed with this product have seen no diffrence since using this
29/12/2019, By DeniseI can't really say anything, because after taking it only once, I had a severe allergic reaction.28/12/2019, By MimiThese pills really help keep the tummy in check. Would definitely repurchase.30/11/2019, By DanielleFor me, it works within 1 hour of taking the tablet.29/10/2019, By JessIt has changed my life. I have chronic acid reflux and it has completely stopped since taking this. I HIGHLY RECCOMEND.27/10/2019, By AziHelped improve my digestive system. Love this product.21/10/2019, By ChanteHappy, great investment25/09/2019, By CarmenThis is a great brand and my go-to probiotic. It contains the most diverse strains and plenty of them. Capsules are small and easy to swallow. Set a reminder to take it in the morning if you're likely to forget it's in the fridge!12/09/2019, By KathrynI wanted to try regulate my hormones naturally and can say I feel a significant difference, less PMS and my skin is clearing a lot quicker.25/07/2019, By And it's natural and pureThis is so necessary when taking antibiotics and even daily pills and or prescription meds.16/07/2019, By GillianMy daily go to Probiotic. Well worth the money.29/06/2019, By SunéWhen I take these caps my stomach isn't so bloated and I feel my stomach is less upset. I highly recommend these capsules. I tested it out by skipping it for two days and then using it again and I can definitely feel there's a massive difference.27/06/2019, By Stephgreat quality for the price! best I've found so far11/06/2019, By Jamie leeReally helps with burning sensation. Ulcears and sensative stomach08/06/2019, By meganI had good results with this but there are better ones on the market04/06/2019, By NickAll the products I try from this brand work and this probiotic is just another good product04/06/2019, By VeganshmeganOne of the best probiotics. I alternate between this and the liquid probiotics. Amazing results to our health20/05/2019, By Tracey JoyFantastic combined pre and probiotic...
22/03/2019, By LeeThis product really aids in relieving IBS symptoms. It decreases bloating and other painful side effects that come from eating certain foods like dairy and wheat. I would recommend this product to anyone who suffers from digestive issues and prefers using natural products.11/03/2019, By RianaI've been using it for quite a while, with good results. As the price escalated, I looked for something different, but soon realized that the other products was not only less expensive, but also less effective. So I went back to purchasing more of these. But I found that 5 of the 6 containers of this batch have the FTN sticker with bar code stuck right over the important information (numbers of colony forming units). If one wants to e.g. show the container to a friend, or compare it with other products, this information is important, especially since it is not visible on the images on the website either, and also not (as far as I can see) in the text regarding it. Pulling off the sticker, even if done gently, often has the wording torn off along with it.06/03/2019, By JustineThis stuff is amazing. I have taken many different brands of Probiotics and nothing compares to how this has made me feel since I started taking it. I love the fact that the Prebiotics are added. I can definitely feel an improvement in my health, especially in my energy levels. Can't recommend this enough :)11/02/2019, By OliviaI have started taking this capsule for two weeks now. I decided to take it because i suffer with hormonal acne. Have not seen changes yet, but want to see results after i have finished the cause. If there is any of you who has taken it for the same reason, please share your experience.07/02/2019, By archiluluThis works well for us as a daily probiotic.
I've even used the capsules to make coconut yogurt.06/02/2019, By JulieLove this product. It has helped my digestion and immune system tremendously.21/01/2019, By JessicaWorks really well! I suffer from IBS and acid reflux and this helps tremendously. Try it!10/12/2018, By MichaelaLove these!24/11/2018, By TtMy skin has never looked better after using this.31/10/2018, By AnonymousI always keep this on hand. Great for indigestion and heart burn. Acid reflux27/09/2018, By IlseGood probiotic, trustworthy brand! Great value if you buy in bulk.12/09/2018, By EloiseA high quality product that is used by my whole family.30/08/2018, By EloiseFantastic product! My whole family uses it.23/08/2018, By Barbwonderful23/08/2018, By Barbwonderful22/08/2018, By NermoDefinitely one of the best probiotics I have tried. Digestive probs are long forgotten!13/08/2018, By MuhammedThere's no better probiotic on the market18/07/2018, By ZukiswaThese are awesome, I can't remember when last I was regular, I have been trying everything. The effectiveness lasts13/07/2018, By ColleenThis cleared up quite a lot of issues I've been having. I'm done with my supply and i'm definitely ordering more. Although its expensive, it's worth it. A must have!14/06/2018, By SamGreat probiotic, keeps my tummy regular.06/05/2018, By MikeLove this product. Keeps my stomach regular and feeling great :P04/05/2018, By KamThe best Pre/Pro Biotic out there, has more cultures and good buggies than any other product - pity about the price though, wish it was a little more affordable.26/04/2018, By SARAIt has really helped with my digestive problems26/04/2018, By SARAI feel energised and alive.25/04/2018, By SusanneIt definitely works. I have also made some coconut yogurt with it. That also worked well.12/04/2018, By CookieMonsterI've had issues with my colon since I was a baby. I've used more than 10 types of probiotic, and none of them worked even mildly. For the first time in my life bowel movements are easy, my stomach cramps and bloatedness is gone, and my tummy is happy! Thank you so much for this wonderful product!10/04/2018, By DelanoI have been struggling with severe stomach complications for more than a month. I decided to purchase these probiotics on Sunday evening, since I knew I would be going to the doctor the next day (and as always they would prescribe antibiotics) I in fact received two courses and started to take it that same day (Monday). On Tuesday I received these PRO-biotics. I cannot thank FTN enough for the super fast delivery as I have learnt that antibiotics does not have a good effect on the body. It might be helpful with viral infections, but stuffs up the body's overall gut flora.04/04/2018, By Shireeninduces regular bowel movement; definitely have more energy and removes sluggishness11/02/2018, By MaureenI bought this product to use for dairy free cheese making rather than using rejuvelac. Works well for that. A few days ago I gave my husband two in the morning as he has been on a very very strong course of antibiotics to help an infection in his shoulder after a broken collar bone. He had been on the ones prescribed but then he got candida/oral thrush. After just the first dose the candida reduced significantly and after two days, just about gone. He is now a fan and I will continue to purchase these for him. He is not vegan as I am but doesn't eat a lot of dairy and animal products.Got to keep him healthy!01/02/2018, By EroetsReally not sure if it worked. Very expensive. I just started making my own kombucha and that seems to actually help my ibs.17/12/2017, By ElmariI use this product on a daily basis, great for your gut. Health gut is so important for your overall health.
14/12/2017, By LilyI've been taking this regularly for a few months now and, while I can't pinpoint specifics, just feel like things are more balanced in my system. It's also great for women's health and I'll definitely continue to take it.13/12/2017, By RianaInitially I bought this just to keep handy in case I needed to restore gut flora after a course of antibiotics. Then I listened to the recent documentary series on"GMOs Revealed", and realized just how important gut health really is, because of the toxic substances we (often unknowingly) ingest, and the importance of fighting this onslaught on our bodies by starting at basics - replenishing our good gut bacteria. For a few weeks now, I have been taking it first thing every morning with a glass of purified water, at least half an hour before eating anything else. Gradually I started realizing that I just feel better overall, without pinpointing anything.But for months now I did have a constant, nagging pain in my elbow and surrounding muscles, which then progressively got less, until I am now hardly aware of it. It was a definite inflammatory condition, and I believe by improving my gut health, the inflammation has cleared. The inflammation in my arthritic hands have also improved (although just a little), but I believe it will continue to improve. I plan to continue using this product, especially because it also contains pre-biotics, which is essential in order for the pro-biotics to survive, in case one's normal intake does not have enough of it.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.