- It’s very simple, and easy to do
- Bread made from cultured wild yeast has a better texture than commercially produced breads, made with instant yeast, preservatives, and other unnecessary additives like sugar
- Sourdough culture contains lactobacilli which acts upon proteins (like gluten) and results in lactic acid as a by-product which lends sourdough its distinct flavour
- Wild yeast culture Improves the bioavailability of nutrients in bread making it easier to digest
- Yeast culture can be stored for more than two years when dried
- You will need:
- Stone ground rye flour (whole wheat flour)
- Spring, mineral, or distilled water
- Stage 1
- Stir ½ teaspoon of dried starter culture into 1 tablespoon of water in supplied jar
- Add 1 tablespoon rye flour and mix until consistency of pancake batter
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of water if necessary to reach desired consistency
- Cover jar with tea towel/dish cloth (do not seal with lid)
- Allow 24 for fermentation at an ambient temperature of 25°C
- Stage 2
- Transfer contents of jar to mixing bowl
- Add 30 grams of rye flour and 30 milliliters of water
- Stir vigorously
- Leave for 24 hours
- Stage 3
- Add 60 grams of rye flour and 60 milliliters of water
- Stir vigorously
- Leave for 24 hours
- Your sourdough is now ready to bake!
- Make sure to keep a small amount of dough to repeat the stages 2-3 for the next loaf.
- 7 grams of dried starter culture in a transparent glass jar
- Organic Stone-Milled Flour, Spring Mineral Water.
Country of Origin:
Made in South Africa
7 out of 8 people would recommend this product06/06/2020, By AngelaIt was a little tricky to dissolve the flakes but a very successful result. I do feel it is overpriced for what one gets though.29/05/2020, By LloydLove my lizzy starter. Tried making my own one for months, but it never worked out. This starter is stable and worked immediately. Thank you!29/05/2020, By RingoLizzy is a fantastic product, so easy to make! Sooo gosh darn delicious. It's authentic and the personal note and instructions give such a nice touch!!
05/05/2020, By AshWould not buy again24/04/2020, By AnmareStarter never developed. Was moldy within 12 hours. Tried again - same story.24/04/2020, By AshleighAmazing product! I'm so happy with my Lizzy starter!
After researching how to make my own online, this product makes it so much easier to get your starter established and delivers excellent tasting sourdough breads. Also great to support a local culture fanatic!
I had no idea you could make all the products that they mention on the label. Excited to start making sourdough pizzas!
Thank you Lizzy! :)
22/04/2020, By an amateur bakerI think the only real benefit from this is that with the dried cultures you can get your starter going in mayb 3-4 days instead of the 7-10 days if you did it the regular way (check online, plenty of instructional videos and articles, Patrick Ryan is a great source of information).
The jar being square is a pain to stir in and you'll often find that starter gets stuck in the nooks and crannies and dries out in there. Not to mention it's way too small, especially given the price you're paying.
The instructions that come with it are handy but as mentioned you can get all of that online easily.
Really nice idea though but the execution is lacking.03/02/2020, By ABCFantastic product, easy to use. We baked already several breads and the dough is a living creature that requires daily feeding. Fun and good quality.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.