100g of Pakmed Sodium Bicarbonate
In its natural form, baking soda is known as nahcolite, which is part of the natural mineral natron. Natron, which contains large amounts of sodium bicarbonate, has been used since ancient times. For instance, the Egyptians used natron as a soap for cleansing purposes. Later, anecdotal reports throughout history suggest that many civilizations used forms of baking soda when making bread and other foods that required rising.
You'll be amazed at the myriad of remedies you can whip up if you have a box of baking soda handy. Among them:
- Ulcer Pain: baking soda neutralises stomach acid. Dosing is typically 1-2 teaspoons in a full glass of water.
- Splinter removal: Add a tablespoon of baking soda to a small glass of water, and then soak the affected area twice a day. Many splinters will come out on their own after a couple of days using this treatment.
- Sunburn remedy: Add ½ cup of baking soda to lukewarm bathwater, then soak in the tub for natural relief. When you get out, let your skin air dry, rather than towelling off the excess baking soda, for extra relief. You can also add a mixture of baking soda and water to a cool compress and apply it to the sunburn directly.
- Deodorant: If you want to avoid the parabens and aluminium found in many deodorants and antiperspirants, try a pinch of baking soda mixed with water instead. This simple paste makes an effective and simple natural deodorant.
- Enhanced sports performance: Distance runners have long engaged in a practice known as "soda doping" – or taking baking soda capsules - before races to enhance performance, a measure that's thought to work similarly to carbohydrate loading.
- Plaque-busting tooth and gum paste: For an incredibly effective tooth and gum paste, use a mixture of six parts of baking soda to one part of sea salt. Place them in a blender and mix for 30 seconds, then place in a container to use. Wet the tip of your index finger and place a small amount of the salt and soda mixture on your gums. Starting with the upper outside gums and then the inside of the upper, followed by the lower outside of the gums then the lower inside, rub the mixture onto your teeth and gums. Spit out the excess. After 15 minutes rinse your mouth. This mixture is incredibly effective at killing bacteria.
- Insect Bites: Apply a paste made of baking soda and water to insect bites to help relieve itching. You can also try rubbing the dry powder onto your skin. This is also effective for itchy rashes and poison ivy.
- Teeth whitener: For a natural way to whiten your teeth, crush one ripe strawberry and mix it with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Spread the mixture onto your teeth and leave on for five minutes. Then brush your teeth and rinse. This method should be used no more than once a week, as excessive use could potentially damage your tooth enamel.
- Foot soak: Add three tablespoons of baking soda to a tub of warm water for an invigorating foot soak.
- Exfoliator: A paste made from three parts of baking soda combined with 1 part water can be used as an exfoliator for your face and body. It's natural, inexpensive and gentle enough to use every day.
- Detox bath: Baking soda and apple cider make a wonderful spa-like bath for soaking away aches and pains and detoxing. It also cleans the tub and the drain, as a bonus!
After you've stashed a box of baking soda in your medicine cabinet, put one under your kitchen sink, in your bathroom and with your cleaning supplies too …
- Baking soda is great to scrub your bath and kitchen with. Put it in a glass grated cheese container with a stainless steel top that has holes in it, and just sprinkle the baking soda on the surfaces and scrub. You may add a few drops of your favourite essential oil to this. Lavender and tea tree oil have potent anti-bacterial qualities.
- Baking soda mixed with apple cider vinegar is a bubbly combination that has many uses. As a drain cleaner, sprinkle baking soda down the drain, then add apple cider vinegar and let it bubble for 15 minutes, then rinse with hot water. This is a safer alternative to dangerous drain cleaners.
- Soak pots and pans in hot water and baking soda for 15 minutes to easily wipe away baked-on food.
- Use baking soda to scrub your barbecue grill.
- Clean baby toys in a mixture of 4 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 quart of water.
- Baking soda can also be used as a fabric softener in your laundry, or to get your clothes whither and brighter (add one cup to your laundry load).
- Baking soda is a natural carpet cleaner. Sprinkle it onto carpets, let it sit for 15 minutes, then vacuum it up.
- To polish silver without using toxic silver polish, fill your kitchen sink with hot water, add a sheet of aluminium foil and baking soda, and let the silver pieces soak until clean. It is an easy and fun way to clean silver.
- Sprinkle baking soda in your shoes for a natural deodorizer.
- In the event of a minor grease fire in your kitchen, use baking soda to help smother out the flames.
Recommended dosages from the Arm & Hammer Company for colds and influenza back in 1925 were:
- Day 1 - Take six doses of ½ teaspoon of baking soda in glass of cool water, at about two-hour intervals
- Day 2 - Take four doses of ½ teaspoon of baking soda in glass of cool water, at the same intervals
- Day 3 - Take two doses of ½ teaspoon of baking soda in glass of cool water morning and evening, and thereafter ½ teaspoon in glass of cool water each morning until cold symptoms are gone
31 out of 31 people would recommend this product19/12/2020, By KaraboDoes an amazing job with my heartburn11/09/2020, By TJGreat for laundry.17/07/2020, By MeyerineIt's bicarb... It does what it's supposed to... Love adding it to baths!16/07/2020, By CharmaineGreat quality, and oh so many uses for this product.05/05/2020, By VictoriaWorks well27/04/2020, By SindyLeaves skin silky soft.
Will be trying it as an alkaliser soon.15/04/2020, By Jadegood17/01/2020, By SupportTop stuff20/10/2019, By CindySmaller than I thought it would be. But great nonetheless.17/10/2019, By Berniestill loving this product. love putting it in my washing machine with the clothes gives them a cleaner brighter look.14/10/2019, By shalla CMBest Brand of Bicarb out there for all of my family's uses.08/10/2019, By Bernielove this product. use it to clean my drains and use it in my washing machine. it works well as an oven cleaner to.27/06/2019, By MelExtremely versatile, use it as a drain cleaner with vinegar or a deodorizer for your fridge, endless uses.07/04/2019, By JulietaGood01/03/2019, By JeneanThis is a great product as the taste is less offensive than its own brand alternatives in the chemist.12/02/2019, By leboworks well on greasy surfaces in my kitchen09/11/2018, By Sandesh ElaineNothing special about it. It's regular has store brought bicarbonate of soda18/10/2018, By A5 stars is for the product, but it is a very small box
I do this often, forget to look at size when purchasing:)
Does as promised29/08/2018, By Lee-AnneBest value for money. Great in homemade toothpastes and deodorant (if that’s your thing)18/07/2018, By Lee-AnneI use these to make homemade deodorant and toothpaste. Should consider discounts for buying in bulk!02/05/2018, By JIt has many household uses - last time I used it with vinegar for unblock/clean my drains by the kitchen sink. It worked like magic and is much less harmful to the environment.30/04/2018, By TandyGreat all purpose product to keep at hand. Makes a potent cleaning product when mixed with ACV30/03/2018, By RiaGreat product that can be used for almost everything22/03/2018, By Healthy Girlawesome product15/01/2018, By AnelDoes what it is suppose to but WISH you could get a larger size22/12/2017, By JenBicarb is not nice at the best of times but one can this swallow this product in water without wanting to gag. Its far better than what's on offer at pharmacies.09/11/2017, By AnneliSmall box for the price17/10/2017, By bouchraAlong with lemon juice, bicarb removes marks from pots/pans like a dream30/09/2017, By FaeezahGreat price and used for everything! Currently very effectively using it as a shampoo...works wonders.27/09/2017, By TamJIts your standard bicarb - does what its supposed to29/05/2017, By DesA very versatile product with various uses. I use it as an ingredient in my homemade laundry powder. I also use it to neutralise pet stains alongside apple cider vinegar. It's also great as a cleaning product and as a body exfoliant.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.