- 1 x 2g packet of shelf stable dehydrated* milk kefir grains
- Reusable culture that makes up to 1 litre of kefir with every batch
- Cultures on the counter at 20°-30°C
- Suitable for use with cow or goat milk
- May be used to culture coconut, soy, or rice milk once rehydrated in dairy milk
- Non GMO
*Please note: the image shows kefir grains that haven been hydrated and fed, the grains you will recieve are dehydrated and will need to rehydrate and feed for two to three batches of milk before they are plump and culturing fully.
For full instructions please read our instructions at this link: Instructions for making Milk Kefir from Dehydrated grains.
Why can you make more than one batch with this starter culture?
Culturing kefir is like having a little plant that you need to keep feeding - and it grows too! This culture can be re-used as it is a living organism that feeds on the milk sugars. Once you have cultured your milk you remove the SCOBY (start culture) and put it into the next batch so it can keep feeding. This is how you can keep making kefir indefinitely with the same starter culture. It will keep growing bigger so that you will need to divide it at some point. You can even give some away as a gift once you have enough. Kefir just keeps on giving.
For full instructions on how to get started with your kefir, take a look here.
Note: Nut and seed milks yield inconsistent results and the culture will weaken after 2 or three batches: to keep your culture strong, refresh it for a few days in dairy milk every now and again
Benefits of milk kefir:
Your gut is central to your health. Imbalanced gut flora can result in blood sugar imbalances, sugar cravings, weight gain, poor immunity, low energy and digestive disturbances. Kefir grains contain yeast and bacteria in a symbiotic relationship that colonises your gut with a healthy, balanced community of microflora, with many health spin-offs:
- Colonises your gut with healthy strains of beneficial microflora
- Promotes a wide variety of microflora that is believed to be even more potent than those found in yoghurt (yoghurt bacteria feed beneficial bacteria as they pass through, kefir actually provides the beneficial bacteria that stays in your gut)
- Contains beneficial yeasts that are known destroy pathogenic yeasts such as candida
- Cleanses, purifies and strengthens intestinal walls and helps your body become more resistant to dangerous pathogens such as E. Coli, salmonella and intestinal parasites, improving various digestive diseases and also diarrhoea
- Helps assimilate nutrients in the gut and enhances the use of certain trace minerals and B vitamins
- Helps your body assimilate calcium found in milk. Full cream milk is the best milk to use as it also contains vitamin K2 which keeps your bones strong and arteries clear
- The lactic acid bacteria in kefir predigest lactose making it easier to tolerate for those with lactose intolerance
You can drink kefir as is (or even just have a tablespoon or two a day as a probiotic supplement), flavour it, or use it in your smoothies or bread recipes.
Contains dairy. Packaged in a facility that also manufactures products made with wheat, soy, eggs, nuts, and fish
Milk Kefir grains
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.
Knowledge is key to success
20 Sep, 2016, By Happy Customer
Since we were new to using Kefir we watched a few videos on YouTube on how to start and it did the trick. There is a process to it...
Love everything about this product and if you are doing it for the health benefits or cooking, this is the way to go.
Milk Kefir grains
16 Sep, 2016, By Amanda
Thank you for my Milk Kefir grains, I only have about 5 little grains those 5 little grains make between 300 to 500ml of milk kefir every 2 days. I use it for marinating chicken, in smoothies and bread/rusk recipes.
We also love our Water Kefir grains and my scoby I bought from you! Thank you for answering all my questions when I call.
Please let me know when you have Milk Kefir in stock, I need more.
09 Aug, 2016, By Hugh
Only noticed the negative reviews before I bought, so I wasn too hopeful when they arrived. Couldn have been more wrong, worked a charm! Turns milk into keffir within a few days on the kitchen counter - have only praise for the product.
21 Jul, 2016, By Zaheeda
I bought 2 of these and they came back with different amounts in each, one was considerably less than the other and in general they were both a small quantity. For R175 they
I found other sites which give you more for your Rand. R70 per tablespoon! What a bargain compared to these ones from craftycultures.co.za
Got a refund thank goodness!
Faithful To Nature Feedback: Hi Zaheeda, Sorry to hear this and so glad this was sorted out for you but please note the product is dehydrated, so needs to be dehydrated before use, please read the instructions of how to hydrate this here: http://www.faithful-to-nature.co.za/Instructions-for-making-Milk-Kefir-from-dehydrated-kefir-Culture-sp-39.html Hope this helps for next time. Green Regards
27 Jun, 2016, By Rosemary
I was disappointed with this product. The kefir grains are so small cannot find them even straining through very fine muslin. I have been able to make a few batches by taking a small amount of cultured kefir and adding to fresh milk. Almost like making yoghurt. Picture of grains is misleading.
Faithful To Nature Feedback: Hi Rosemary, Thank you for your feedback and sorry to hear this. Please note that these are dehydrated kefir grains that need to be hydrated before use, please read the instructions at this link: http://www.faithful-to-nature.co.za/Instructions-for-making-Milk-Kefir-from-dehydrated-kefir-Culture-sp-39.html Please know we will update the picture shortly to present the product in is true form. Hope this helps, Green Regards