PLEASE NOTE BEFORE PURCHASING: We will not accept returns of any feminine hygiene, menstrual or intimate products such as reusable pads, menstrual cups and sponges, yoni eggs or underwear.
- Pack of 2 menstrual sponges; 1 small & 1 medium
- Each sponge can be used for 3-6 menstrual cycles
- Packaged in a biodegradable eco-plastic bag
- Includes a detailed information leaflet with all the info you need
All Woman-Kind products are hygienically packaged in biodegradable eco-plastic packets from Green Home.
Why choose a sponge as an alternative to conventional tampons?
- Ultra-soft & gentle on delicate vaginal skin
- Comfortable & absorbent
- They don’t dry & abrade the skin as tampons often do
- Easy to clean, dry & care for
- Easy to dispose of at the end of the life-cycle
- Truly green-friendly; 100% biodegradable
- No synthetic fibres, bleaches, chlorine or pesticides
- Affordable & can be used multiple times, reducing monthly costs
- These sponges are a sustainably harvested natural resource
- They break down naturally and will nor pollute the water supply or landfills
Did You Know? Tampons can take up to 5 years to biodegrade; and most commercial brands contain harsh synthetic chemicals and bleaching agents. Menstrual sponges on the other hand break down quickly and harmlessly.
All Woman-Kind products include an informative leaflet, and are hygienically packaged in biodegradable eco-plastic packets from Green Home.
Sustainability and regrowth:
Sea sponges have the ability to regenerate from fragments left from the original sponge. When a sponge is correctly harvested, the base of the sponge remains intact, so that it has the ability to regrow, and can be harvested again and again.
Sea sponges and veganism:
By definition, sea sponges are classified as animals and not plants; however, sponges have no organs, brains or nervous systems, meaning that they do not feel any pain. When they are correctly harvested, sea sponges are not injured or damaged; they grow back stronger, and also release spores to form new sponges. This process is similar to pruning a plant in order to keep it healthy. Some vegans might feel that using a natural sea sponge contradicts the vegan belief system or lifestyle; while some others may not. The choice is yours to make.
Sea sponges and TSS:
Always be aware of the symptoms of TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome); this is a rare condition associated with internal menstrual products. Because sea sponges are natural and do not cause dryness or abrasion, they are less likely than ordinary tampons to trigger TSS.
Before first use:
- Check and clean your sponges before the first time you use them. You may find small particles of shells and coral in the sponges; simply rinse and rub these out of the sponge.
- Like tampons, sea sponges are not sterile. Soak your sponge in a cup of warm water with a little vinegar to disinfect it, then allow it to air-dry.
- Wet your sponge with warm water until soft. Squeeze out the excess water.
- Squash the sponge and gently insert it as you would a tampon, until it feels secure.
- You can also trim the perimeter of your sponge a little at a time, until you are comfortable with the size.
- Feel for the perimeter of the sponge, grasp it and pull gently; sponges are delicate and can tear quite easily.
- During your cycle, simply remove and rinse your menstrual sponge with warm water, with every trip to the toilet, or when the sponge is full.
- Gently squeeze out the excess water before re-inserting the sponge.
- Between each cycle, disinfect your sponge.
- Do NOT use soap or detergent.
- Soak the sponge in warm water and vinegar for 10 minutes, then leave to air-dry.
- You can also add a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil to the water when disinfecting your sponges.
14 out of 14 people would recommend this product28/08/2018, By SianI prefer using a cup and washable pads, but this does the job. As with a cup, you need to remember to clean it thoroughly and often. Unfortunately I had a little leakage with mine, so I'd recommend using a pad too!20/08/2018, By NoodleA handy back-up if you are out of organic tampons. I alternate between the two especially if I am suffering with thrush which usually comes at the end of my cycle.12/07/2018, By ElaineI have used a cup for years and tried these sponges as a plan B for the cup. They are extremely comfortable and super absorbent and have not leaked at all. They are fab for use at home however I dont find them very convenient if I'm out all day long due to the emptying/cleaning aspect.09/08/2017, By KimI stopped using tampons about 5 years ago as they always gave me bad period pains and back ache. I switched to pads. But then i tried the sponges and I'm really happy. I also tried the woman kind pads. The sponges are easy to use, easy to clean.01/08/2017, By LindaI buy these for my daughter, who uses the large sponge for heavy flow, and the smaller towards the end of her period. She says she will never use bleached tampons again.31/07/2017, By LelanieWorks much better for me than the mooncup - easier to remove and it works really well.17/08/2016, By ChanellI love these little sponges! Very comfy and easy to use. To me, easier than the menstrual cup, which sometimes would not open immediately or properly. And since the birth of my son, I never really felt comfortable with the menstrual cup, so these are my new favourite products!13/06/2016, By BiancaTook a while to get used to, but after using these I will never go back to regular bleached tampons ever again. Super comfortable and does not leak. Best used in combination with the Woman-kind washable pads, just in case.07/05/2016, By HeatherThese little sponges are comfortable, body and earth friendly. Wish I had known about such alternatives years ago! You do need access to a basin (or carry a second sponge and a small container) but once you have negotiated the learning curve you won wnat to go back to disposable options. They aren leak proof but then I haven found any options that are.25/02/2016, By LizI guess its a bit like contact lenses, takes a bit getting used to it (removing, inserting and cleaning) - especially if youve only used tampons and pads, but I am really impressed. I will definitely continue using this as long as I have access to a private washing basin at work. :)28/01/2016, By JanetNow that Ive started using these, I actually prefer them to my menstrual cup!! They
e comfy and very easy to use.08/12/2015, By JulietThese sponges are amazingly comfortable, I can feel them at all. They work exceptionally well with no leaks. I highly recommend this product.17/10/2015, By SallyThese work well for me as I have a sink close at hand to the loo at home work. Going out in public, you would need something to put the used one in to rinse out later at home. I also use a pantyliner at the same time as the sponge for peace of mind, just in case there is a small leak.28/05/2015, By TracyThese little sponges work like a charm. They are super soft and gentle and very absorbent. They don leak and don move around like menstrual cups which I found very difficult to fit properly. They are easy to clean and I sterilized mine with a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil. My only regret is that I didn find this product sooner! Thank you for stocking this product :)
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.