- This simple device fills with water in the cistern, while the toilet functions as it should
- The bag has a small hole on either side, allowing water to flow in and out of the bag, making sure the water stays fresh and does not get stale
- Most toilets do not need the volume of water they use with each flush, they are just inefficiently designed
- This is especially useful in older toilets, where there is no choice of flush volume
Did you know? The average home flushes the toilet at least 10 times per day, using up to 9 litres per flush, that’s 90 litres of water per day, just in the toilet, which is water that cannot be reused in any way. The Hippo Bag reduces the amount of water lost in each flush, which can halve the average household's toilet water usage.
- Open the bag, and push the corners out, making a box shape
- Remove the lid of your cistern
- Turn the empty bag upside down and place the empty bag over the ball float
- Turn the bag onto its side, lowering it into the water, and pushing it underneath the ball float, filling it with water as you do so
- Straighten it beneath the ball float, ensuring that it does not interfere with the normal working of the float
- Flush the toilet, and use a jug to pour about 1 litre of water into the Hippo Bag
- The cistern will fill to its usual level, but the water in the Hippo Bag should displace some water, allowing it to refill with less water after the flush
- To check that the Hippo Bag is not overfilled, flush the toilet and make sure that the water level returns to its original height
- If it does not, remove some water from the Hippo Bag
- Once the correct level is reached, the toilet should work normally, but the total amount lost with each flush will be lower
9 out of 9 people would recommend this product24/10/2020, By ThasmineWater saving08/10/2020, By AliciaRather expensive, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run. Works great in a household where fellow house members forget to let it mellow when it's yellow.06/06/2019, By SueYay to saving water! Everyone should have one in their toilet.27/02/2018, By fusion01Expensive for what is essentially a thick walled plastic bag. I am 99.9% sure that if there was the same level of water crisis in the UK these would have been handed out as part of a large scale initiative FOR FREE yet here we pay. Point being we purchased many of these about 7 years ago for all of our toilets, I imported them into SA (for less). Probably about a 2 litre reduction per flush, it all adds up!29/01/2018, By SamanthaWe have older toilets which use a lot of water to flush so these are ideal. Very easy to install and seem to work effectively!05/10/2017, By Jackie RWas sceptical but very impressed with the easy and efficiency.
You won't even know it's there. Might need to move once every few weeks but otherwise all good18/09/2017, By SimonSimple and easy to install.
No change to the current plumbing or system needed. perfect for a larger toilet that flushes too much water per flush.
You wont notice the difference until you see the water bill. A must have!08/08/2017, By BellieEffective at saving water!
I have personally noticed my water bill reducing since I put one of these in my toilet cistern.11/07/2017, By JackPerfect for my older larger cistern.
Easy to use and saves alot of water if you think how many times you flush a day in a family of four.
Really recommend it to anyone looking to save water
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.