Imbalanced gut flora can result in blood sugar imbalances, sugar cravings, weight gain, poor immunity, low energy and digestive disturbances. Kefir grains contain yeast and bacteria existing in a symbiotic relationship. Drinking kefir colonises your gut with a healthy, balanced community of microflora, with many health spin-offs.
Health benefits of kefir:
- Enhances hydration and colonises your gut with healthy strains of beneficial microflora
- Promotes a wide variety of potent microflora that is believed to be even more potent than those found in yoghurt (yoghurt bacteria feed beneficial bacteria as they pass through, kefir actually provides the beneficial bacteria that stays in your gut)
- Contains beneficial yeasts that are known destroy pathogenic yeasts such as candida
- Cleanse, purify and strengthen the intestinal walls and helps your body become more resistant to dangerous pathogens such as E. Coli, salmonella and intestinal parasites
- Helps assimilate nutrients in the gut and enhance the usage of certain trace minerals and B vitamins
- Gluten & Dairy-free
The Water Kefir Starter Kit Contains:
- Genuine Water kefir grains
- 1 litre Consol bottle fitted with airlock & bung
- 1 x Small plastic strainer
- 1 x Plastic spoon
- Instructions and recipe
More about the water kefir kit…
- A kit with all you need to start your own water kefir, a fermented drink with great health benefits
- Flavour has a natural, light zesty tang with a slight fizz
- All you need to do is add coconut water, sugar water or fruit juice
- The sugars in these drinks will feed the bacteria, leaving very little sugar by the end of the process
- Easy to use, the starter grains can create a new batch of water kefir every 24-48 hours
- Water kefir makes a fantastic non-dairy alternative to dairy milk kefir
- Can be flavoured to make a range of delicious beverages, or as an ingredient in many recipes
- No rehydration period required
- Reusable culture that makes up to 2 litres water kefir with every batch
- Cultures on the counter at 20°-30°C (you don’t need specialised equipment to culture kefir)
- The actual water kefir (the liquid, not the grains) may be used to culture non-dairy milks, for a non-dairy milk kefir alternative
Why can you make more than one batch with this starter culture?
Culturing kefir is like having a little plant that you need to keep feeding - and it grows too! This culture can be re-used as it is a living organism that feeds on sugars. Once you have cultured your liquid you remove the SCOBY (start culture) and put it into the next batch so it can keep feeding. This is how you can keep making kefir indefinitely with the same starter culture. It will keep growing bigger so that you will need to divide it at some point. You can even give some away as a gift once you have enough. Kefir just keeps on giving.
Diabetics: as most of the sugars in the liquid are used up by the bacteria, some diabetics can tolerate water kefir, but it would be better to use less sugary bases such as coconut water rather than pure fruit juice which has much higher sugar
Re-culturing coconut kefir: Coconut water does not have enough sugar and minerals to sustain water kefir grains long term on its own, and they will usually stop producing good coconut water kefir at some point. A solution to this is to alternate every couple of batches with a sugar water recipe to give them a nice boost and keep them strong
Some water kefir history…
Water kefir has been used for many centuries, so long in fact that it’s exact origins are hazy, it’s thought to come from Mexico. They are similar to milk kefir grains but are not interchangeable as they are distinct and separate cultures with separate origins. Some other names for water kefir include: Bees, Japanese Water Crystals, Graines Vivantes and Balm of Gilead.
Organic sugar, kefir cultures
1 out of 1 people would recommend this product17/05/2017, By JoyceI have everything I needed to start my first ever water kefir. Looking for probiotic drinks that was not available here in the supermarkets, I finally chanced upon kefir. After much reading up, I decided kefir water would be a good start for my family (including baby). I started making water kefir right after I received it. It IS so simple! Just following the instructions and use good quality raw ingredients (like raw sugar and spring water) and I am making batch after batch of nice healthy kefir every 2 days!
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.