What? PRO-biotics are live bugs (like good bacteria or yeasts) that benefit the host they live on (like you). PRE-biotics are the foods that benefit the bugs that benefit you. Simple.
What else? When probiotics and prebiotics are combined in a supplement (like this one), it’s called a SYN-biotic. As in SYN-ergy.
So what? The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic is a synbiotic that contains nine strains of healthy bacteria and a probiotic yeast. More specifically it contains 20-billion colony forming units per dose – about 20 times more than the average probiotic. It also packs in chicory inulin and oligofructose prebiotics. PRO + PRE = SYN. Simple.
WHAT’S A COLONY FORMING UNIT? It’s a measure of the number of live, viable microbials in something. And, clearly, you want lots of these in your probiotic supplement, if not in your soup. Most probiotics contain 100-million to 1-billion CFUs per dose. The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic contains 20-billion. Bingo.
HOW WILL PRO-PROBIOTIC HELP YOU?
Stress, prescription drugs, alcohol, a high-fat diet, too much red meat and too little dietary fibre can allow bad gut bacteria to overgrow and take over the gut. This can lead to digestive problems like infections, lactose intolerance, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, Candida and reduced absorption of nutrients. Unless you put more good guys in.
Here’s what good-guy bacteria can do
1. INHIBIT BAD BACTERIA. They take all the nutrients and out-compete unhealthy bacteria – some probiotics even lower the pH to inhibit bad microflora and produce bacteriocins, natural antibiotic substances against harmful bugs like Candida albicans, Salmonella, E coli and Staph aureus.
2. ANSWER ANTIBIOTICS. Antibiotics kill bacteria, but don’t know how to tell the good from the bad. This means they can upset the system and your stomach. Studies have shown that replacing the beneficial bacteria with a probiotic can prevent antibiotic-induced diarrhoea.
3. IMPROVE IMMUNITY. Good bacteria work with the immune system on multiple levels. They’re practically honorary members of the team. Here’s why...
- Physical protection. Probiotic bacteria line the mouth, nose, oesophagus, lung cavity and digestive and urinary systems. They form a physical barrier between bad bacteria and the bloodstream. Like a living layer of Clingfilm.
- More immune cells. Research has shown that probiotics help increase the number of T and B lymphocytes produced to fight the body’s battles.
- More immune activity. They stimulate cells to produce antibodies against foreign invaders and immune messenger proteins called cytokines that help coordinate the immune response.
- More killer cell activity. Probiotics don’t just stimulate T-cells and B-cells to do their thing. They also push other immune cells, like macrophages and natural killer cells, to do theirs – namely to attack, engulf and swallow harmful microorganisms, toxins and cancer cells. It’s called phagocytosis, which means “cell eating”. And probiotics get cells eating more.
4. ENHANCE NUTRITION. More good bacteria in the gut promote the absorption of nutrients from food – especially minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc. They also produce nutrients themselves, including B vitamins, folic acid, and antioxidants like vitamin K.
5. LOWER CHOLESTEROL. Research has shown that probiotics can lower bad LDL cholesterol and raise good HDL cholesterol levels. They do this by helping to decrease synthesis and enhance removal of the offending fat. Lactobacilli are also thought to help reduce high blood pressure.
6. FIGHT TOXIC NITROSAMINES. They suppress the production of nitrosamines in the intestines and help to degrade these cancer-causing compounds.
7. PREVENT AND TREAT...
ESSENTIAL WITH ANTIBIOTICS. A 2008 study from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York concluded that the right dose of probiotics will prevent antibiotic-induced diarrhoea. What’s the right dose? More than 5-billion colony-forming units per day for children, and more than 10-billion colony-forming units per day for adults.
WHAT’S IN PRO-PROBIOTIC?
1. THE PROBIOTICS
All the microorganisms in PRO-Probiotic are pros at improving digestion and immunity (as mentioned above). But each one also has its own special talents.
2. AND THE PREBIOTICS
What? Technically, prebiotics are soluble, non-digestible dietary fibres that good bacteria cling to and feed on.
How? Practically, because they’re non-digestible, prebiotics move through the gut without being broken down. Then they stick around to be fermented in the colon. This means good bacteria have more to eat for longer. The healthy flora flourish.
Which ones? The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic has packed a two-course meal for the bacteria on board. It contains a unique combination of two natural prebiotics extracted from the chicory root:
1. INULIN (50%). When the good Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria digest inulin, they increase in volume by 5 to 10 times. Also, bifidobacteria combined with inulin, produce short-chain fatty acids that lower the pH in the gut. This both inhibits bad bacteria and promotes calcium and magnesium absorption. Good stuff.
2. OLIGOFRUCTOSE (50%). It’s a particularly good substrate for bifidobacteria. But it doesn’t just provide a space for the bugs to bind to, it also stimulates their activity by several hundred percent.
WHAT DO THESE PREBIOTICS DO?
INTERESTING FACT: The average human body is made up of about 1013 (or about ten trillion) cells. But the number of microorganisms in the average gut is equal to about ten times that. Nothing average about that.
WHAT MAKES PRO-PROBIOTIC THE REAL THING?
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Probiotics have been shown to ease IBS and protect against gastrointestinal upsets, abdominal pains and constipation.
- Lactose intolerance. Most of the lactobacilli actually produce lactase, an enzyme that breaks down milk sugar, or lactose, into simpler sugars. This helps lactose intolerance and general digestion of dairy.
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs). Good bacteria inhibit the bad ones that cause vaginal and urinary tract infections, including vaginal candidiasis, or thrush.
- Allergies and inflammation. Probiotics can help relieve allergic reactions and intestinal inflammation in people with food allergies, “leaky gut” or eczema. A Finnish study published in 2001 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that, because probiotics influence the release of proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines they can help treat inflammation and hypersensitivity reactions in the gut.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus : Particularly famous for replacing the friendly bacteria that get fried by antibiotics, Produces bacteriocins against harmful bacteria and fungi, Produces lactic acid that changes the pH in the gut – bad bacteria hate it, Also promotes dairy digestion by producing lactase, an enzyme that breaks down the milk sugar lactose into simple sugars, Proven to help reduce high blood pressure
- Bifidobacterium longum: Present in large numbers in the large intestine, Prevalent in breast-fed babies – it’s one the first bacteria to colonise the gastrointestinal system, Produceslactic acid to lower the intestinal pH and repel bad organisms
- Bifidobacterium bifidum: Found mainly in the large intestine and vaginal tract, Prevalent in breast-fed infants – in fact, it helps babies to gain weight, Absorbs lots of the ferrous ions bad bacteria use for fuel, Helps to lower serum cholesterol
- Lactobacillus sporogenes: A spore-forming bacteria found mostly in the small intestine, Manufactures the B vitamins, folic acid and various bacteriocins, Produces helpful digestive enzymes like amylase, protease and lipase
- Lactobacillus casei: Found mostly in the intestine and mouth, Complements the growth of L.acidophilus, Contributes to pH control by producing lactic acid, Improves lactose intolerance, constipation and flatulence
- Lactobacillus paracasei: Found naturally in yogurt, raw milk and fermented products, Active in the small intestine, Enhances gut and immune functions, Helps prevent diarrhoea
- Lactobacillus plantarum: Commonly found in Korean kimchi, sauerkraut, cultured vegetables and human saliva, Helps ease symptoms of Crohn's disease, Helpful in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and colitis
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus: Found primarily in the small intestine and vaginal tract, Contributes to pH control by producing lactic acid, Keeps bad bacteria at bay in both the small and large intestine, Helps create an environment that promotes beneficial bifidobacteria
- Streptococcus thermophiles: Found in fermented products and used in the production of yoghurt, Produces bacteriocins and reduces risk of Salmonella, E. coli and Candida infections, A lactic acid producing bacterium that helps balance the intestinal pH, Helps with dairy digestion and lactose intolerance
- Saccharomyces boulardi: A non-pathogenic, non-toxic probiotic yeast, Produces lactic acid and some B vitamins, Helps protect the gut from infections liek cholera by amoebas and cholera, Helps in the treatment of IBS, inflammatory bowel disease and acute gastroenteritis in kids, Helps prevent traveller’s diarrhoea, HIV/Aids-related diarrhoea and antibiotic-induced diarrhoea, Stimulates the intestinal epithelial cells secrete antibodies for the local immune response
- PROMOTE PROBIOTICS. Extensive testing and more than 15 human volunteer studies have confirmed that our inulin and oligofructose prebiotics make excellent energy and growth sources for beneficial flora like bifidobacteria.
- INCREASE CALCIUM, IMPROVE BONES. They’ve also been proven to increase calcium absorption from the normal diet in adolescents. The results? A 45% increase in bone mineral density and a 15% increase in bone mineral content after one year. Great news for growing bones. Perhaps more significantly, these prebiotics have also been found to improve calcium absorption by 20% and magnesium absorption by 10% in post-menopausal women. Great news for osteoporosis prevention.
- PREVENT COLORECTAL CANCER. Perhaps the greatest news about our inulin-oligofructose combo is that it helps protect against colorectal cancer when combined with probiotics in a synbiotic. Trials have shown that this synbiotic helps stop damage to cells and cell DNA in the colon. It also enhances the immune response and reduces the division and proliferation of damaged cells.
- What we put in it. Nothing but billions of colony forming units of beneficial probiotics with a chicory inulin, oligofructose prebiotic of 100% vegetable origin.
- What we don’t put in it. No binders, fillers, colourants, flavourants, preservatives, tableting aids or additives of any kind.
- How it’s produced. All production and preparation is done according to Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) standards. Plus the prebiotic is also extracted from chicory root using hot water and a gentleextraction process that’s optimised for safety.
- How it’s packed. The probiotics are presented in a veggie capsule and kept refrigerated at all times to maintain viability.
HOW DO YOU TAKE IT?
Take 1 capsule daily, before a meal (ideally first thing in the morning), or consult your health care practitioner. To maintain viability, keep refrigerated.
8 out of 8 people would recommend this product13/05/2017, By ZamaAmazing product. It has really helped my digestive system. I hardy went but now I go to the toilet regularly. Absolutely amazing.27/10/2016, By IngridThis product is superb! Thank you17/10/2016, By RenciaMy husband and I take this daily. It has made a massive difference. We love it!15/09/2016, By TalithaHad a stomach digestion issue and this was the first product that really made a difference. Ive learned that it is recommended to use probiotics with at least 15 billion CFUs per dose and this product contains 20 billion per dose26/04/2016, By JoanneThis is a fantastic product, the most comprehensive probiotic Ive been able to find in health stores. My only concern in buying from FTN and it being couriered is the viability - it has to remain refrigerated to work and if a courier only delivers next day/up to a few days that means most of the bacteria would have died off by the time I receive it?11/02/2016, By RitaI am gluten intolerant and its a nightmare to find the right combination. The PP-Vegicaps and the Ester C Combo work well together. I feel more energetic and alive after just two weeks.26/01/2016, By LynGood quality product. Has a high CFU compared to many other products, plus also has a pre-biotic. Happy with it, would recommend and will continue to buy in future.03/02/2014, By RobynVery happy with the quality of this product!
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.