Ideal Growing Conditions
There are four essential ingredients that will ensure you get the most out of your Mushroom Factory, they are:
Light- Oyster mushrooms need light to grow. Place your oyster mushrooms in a well lit area- but not direct sunlight! The rule of thumb is that if there is enough light for you to read in, there is enough light for your mushrooms to grow.
Temperature- The best temperature for your mushroom factory is between 18-20 degrees. Your kit can also produce mushrooms between 12-25 degrees, but it will do better if kept in the 18-20 degree range.
Water- Water your factory by misting water on to the window and the humidity tent surface 2-3 times a day.
Air- Good movement of air is important for healthy mushroom growth. You will soon see if your mushrooms aren't getting enough air - they will develop long spindly stems and small caps.
Harvesting Your Mushrooms
- Pick the mushrooms while the edges of the caps are still curled down. If you leave the mushrooms to grow bigger, you will end up with poorer quality mushrooms and it also means fewer mushrooms later on.
- Pick all the mushrooms at the same time by twisting them off at the base. Be careful not to pull out the substrate.
- Don't cut the mushrooms off at the base, this is going to make the stump rot - a rotten stump means fewer mushrooms on your next flush.
- Once you have picked your first flush, keep on watering your Mushroom Factory. Your factory should produce between 2 and 4 flushes of mushrooms. Your most successful crops are usually the 1st and 2nd because this is when there are the most nutrients for the mushrooms to feed off.
- From the time your mushrooms start growing, they should double in size every day. They will be ready to pick after about a week.
- From start to harvest it generally takes between 14-21 days
Disposing of you kit
These mushroom kits are RECYCLABLE! When your mushroom factory has finally exhausted itself, enrich your compost with it.
So your Mushroom Factory has worked long and hard, and has been a great success and you have more mushrooms than you know what to do with. Don't let these delicious mushrooms go to waste. Here is how.
Store some in the fridge for this week's delicious mushroom meals and preserve the rest. Mushrooms can easily be dried or frozen for future use. Lucky you, because you have grown your own oyster mushrooms, you know they aren't filled with grit and grime. If you want to give them a quick wipe before cooking, use a damp paper towel. Be gentle and try to avoid getting them wet. Mushrooms may love humidity when they are growing but not once they are picked.
Storing your Fresh Mushrooms
- Your mushrooms will keep up to a week in the fridge.
- Mushrooms should never be washed before being stored.
- Once you've picked your mushrooms, wrap them in a damp (not wet) paper towel and put them in a brown paper bag. (This stops them from drying out).
- Keep your mushrooms at the bottom of the fridge with the other veggies (It isn't as cold as the rest of the fridge).
- Don't store your fresh mushrooms in airtight containers - they cause condensation, which will make your mushrooms soggy.
Preserving Mushrooms - Drying
Stored properly, dried mushrooms have a more potent flavour than fresh ones, so you will use less dried mushrooms vs. fresh.
Directions for Drying
- Pre-heat your oven to 150°.
- Slice your mushrooms into slices about ½ cm. The thicker the slices, the longer they take to dry out.
- Arrange your sliced mushrooms on baking trays in a single layer.
- Bake your mushrooms for 1 hour and remove from oven.
- Use some paper towel to gently dab any moisture that sweated out from your mushrooms.
- Turn your mushrooms over and cook for another hour.
- By now your mushrooms should be completely dry. If not, repeat Steps 4 and 5 until they are dry.
- Allow them to cool, and then store them in an air-tight container in a cool, dark place.
- Your mushrooms are ready to store when they feel dry when you touch them. They should still be flexible. A good idea is to add a wad of paper towel at the bottom of the jar - just to absorb any moisture that might still be lurking around.
Put your mushrooms in a bowl of warm water for 30 minute or if you are in a hurry, bring a pot of water to the boil and simmer your mushrooms for 10 minutes. Keep this liquid for stocks, soups and sauces by pouring the liquid into an ice tray and freezing. When you need it, just pop the frozen stock into the pot.
Freezing your mushrooms will allow them to keep their great flavour, but freezing leaves you with a soggier looking mushroom. Frozen mushrooms are ideal for soups, stews and casseroles.
Using the method below your mushrooms should keep for about a year.
- Bring 1 l of water to the boil with ½ a teaspoon of salt.
- Add mushrooms and bring to the boil again.
- Boil for another 3 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Seal in freezer bags.
20 out of 25 people would recommend this product04/04/2019, By AndyBought this over a month ago and all i got was a brown streak down the front. Definitely wont be doing this again27/03/2019, By TheOakFun to grow and taste great!15/03/2019, By SarahI loved this product! So easy to use. I tried to grow it in Durban summer however so struggled to get the right climate. Even so I got three decent yields of huge happy mushrooms. A wonderful gift for a mushroom lover11/03/2019, By MelissaBought this for a friend and he is loving the whole experience. Thanks for a cool gifting option!01/02/2019, By DianeMy order arrived before I expected it to - thumbs up to that.
Still waiting for my mushrooms to appear but have high hopes as it is only 6 days now.
Perhaps Mushroom Factory could put a warning on the outside of the box about removing the outer plastic bag in the box.
Another review spoke about it so then I checked mine.29/01/2019, By EGLFollowed instructions to the letter - all that happened was straw turned different shades of mould. Not a mushroom in sight. Waste of time, effort and money. Threw it away.
*Faithful To Nature reply:
Sorry to hear of this disappointment, please can you contact our support team as our supplier would love to help resolve this for you :)
email@example.com or 021 7853268.
Kindest Regards*25/01/2019, By KiraI bought this for my boyfriend down in Cape Town, coincidentally someone gave it to me as a gift up in joburg... each of us followed the instructions and have seen no results... no mushrooms whatsoever... I don’t think the growing process is as easy as one might think... so be mindful of that before you purchase this!19/12/2018, By KarinThis was my first ever product I've bought from Faithful to Nature and... IT'S AMAZING! Love it!! Now that I saw it's price is a bit less I'm going to order again!! Love these mushrooms and love the "dyi-process" to bits!!09/09/2018, By CarliI got this for my mother as a birthday present and she is loving the process. Can't wait for the mushrooms to grow!03/09/2018, By MI bought this as a gift, but I took over caring for it as it was just so much fun. We harvested our first flush recently and the mushrooms were delicious. This is a good gift for an adult but I imagine it would also be a fun project for children. One improvement would be to tweak the instructions for use slightly and have the illustrations be a little clearer.28/07/2018, By ShanI had so much fun with this, worked really well! Only wish there was a way to do this with less plastic23/07/2018, By MartieExcellent i will be ordering again soon!!!!!!25/06/2018, By MarliI bought this as a gift for a friend, but when it arrived it was so much bigger than I expected. I got too excited and decided to keep it for myself. The stress of the last minute gift hunting for a new gift was worth it. This kit is great, simple to use and produces massive and loads of mushrooms. I'm harvesting my first batch tonight for some risotto and I cannot wait.24/01/2018, By TheresaI bought my kit on 20 December and started it on 2 January taking meticulous care with the light, humidity and temperature requirements. To date there has been no activity in it. I took a closer look at it last night(23.01.2017) and saw the mulch was contained in 2 plastic bags and the outermost one had water in it that smelled awful. I removed that bag but I'm not hopeful that I will get any mushrooms.15/12/2017, By JanetThis is the most amazing gift, product, or process to experience!! And they just keep regrowing! The trick is to allow a 'rest period' in which a little container of water sits at the bottom of the bag, but don't spray. And once the little musrooms start growing, then mist/spray again to keep things moist. LOVE IT!!! Definitely buying again and again once it's in stock again.12/12/2017, By LizGreat product, worked well and tasted great. The second time this was ordered, it stood for a few days before anything was done to it and there were already mushrooms coming out of the box, don't think this was supposed to happen.27/11/2017, By DianeI really enjoyed this product. It grew amazing mushrooms that tasted great. I appreciated Faithful to Nature's customer service as well. The boxes they had in stock started to grow in the warehouse so they ordered more so that I would be able to get a new, unsprouted product. Well done!30/10/2017, By MegsI loved playing around with these badboys. They're great as is, for a complex, chocolaty snack or addition to smoothies.
I also roasted and ground some to make my own chocolate - so yummy and interesting to work with.20/10/2017, By LuciaI did not have much success, will re-order and try one more time before I either win or give up with this kit.07/10/2017, By JanetSo far so good... Following the instructions, and will see how much it grows! There's a small green moldy spot, which were there already when I opened the box - hopefully it won't have a negative effect?03/09/2017, By Ann16Lovely product, would purchase it again19/07/2017, By SHARLETIt was an exciting thought to grow your own mushrooms but mine did not work well. I got one mushroom each week. I left the box untouched for a week after delivery and a mushroom grew out from the back of the cardboard box.02/07/2017, By AyandaGrowing mushrooms for the first time, I enjoyed the experience02/07/2017, By KATHERINEThis was a really fun and interesting product. The mushrooms were easy to grow and yummy to eat.30/12/2015, By TanyaWe bought one as a gift and it was way bigger than I expected. There were a lot of oohs and ahhs at it was opened. Think I now need to buy one for myself.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.