- A beautiful 400g tub of UMF 10 Tahi Manuka Honey from New Zealand
- Pure, raw unpasteurised Manuka Honey with limited filtering
- The non-peroxide antibacterial activity of Manuka honey is stable, so there is no concern about genuine Active Manuka Honey losing its activity in storage, or when exposed to light and heat as other honey does.
- The active compound of Manuka honey has been shown to inhibit a number of known pathogenic bacteria such as Escherichia coli (E. coli) and Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus) in some studies
- Consumption of Manuka honey may offer antibacterial benefits for the health of the digestive system
- A number of other bio-active compounds have been identified in Manuka honey and these are thought to have beneficial properties on the body when consumed
- The main medical use for Manuka honey is on top of a wound, and it is generally used for treating minor wounds and burns.
All honey has antibacterial properties, but Manuka honey is at least 100 times stronger than any other honey, due to the bees pollinating the amazing Manuka bush that is native to New Zealand. Discovered about 180 years ago, Manuka honey is highly beneficial as an antibacterial application, and has other antibiotic properties as well.
The components of Manuka honey that give it it’s amazing healing properties are…
- Hydrogen peroxide: gives most honey its antibiotic quality.
- Methylglyoxal (MG): MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities. Manuka honey has at least 100 times the amount that other honeys do. This is the active antibacterial compound of Manuka Honey
- Dihydroxyacetone: found in high quantities in the Manuka flowers nectar, the conversion of this adds to the Manuka honey content of MG
Honey producers have developed a scale for rating the potency of Manuka honey. The rating is called UMF, which stands for Unique Manuka Factor.
About Tahi and why their Manuka Honey is different…
Tahi believe that investing in the environment rather than exploiting it will have long-term benefits. They plant between 10,000 and 20,000 Manuka trees a year, as well as another 10,000 plants of other species, including those considered rare.
Tahi is an accredited Global Ecosphere Retreat® and have first looked after the environment within which their honey bees live and produce their product, as well as looking after the bees very well by not removing pollen or using pollen traps and by not substituting their diet with sugar water, but rather allowing their natural diets inside the hives.
For your information: This honey has been irradiated in accordance with the legal importation laws of South Africa. These laws are necessary as non-irradiated honey endangers our local bee population as it could import diseases such as American Foulbrood. There have been concerns that this may damage the powerful antibacterial properties of Manuka honey, as well as it’s probiotic content. While it is uncertain how much of an effect it has on the honey’s healing properties as a whole and may damage the probiotic content, official research by the University of Waikato, New Zealand demonstrated Manuka honey retained its full antibacterial activity even when the radiation was doubled from the usual dosage.
Allergic reaction especially in people who are allergic to bees, risk of a rise in blood sugar and possible interaction with certain chemotherapy drugs
100% pure, raw, unpasteurised and limitedly filtered Manuka Honey
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.