Your purchase affords an income to a talented Malawian gentleman and his family. Ivan stitches each bag with dedication and precision.
- Handcrafted from the beautiful Shweshwe fabric.
- 100% cotton.
- Full lining with Shweshwe for style and durability.
- Full length zip for easy loading of your yoga mat.
- Top quality zip for durability.
- Front pocket for your keys/ mobile phone.
- Aum disc, laser cut from compressed wood attached to zip.
- Dimensions: length 72 cm; diameter 48 cm
- Enough room in it for clothes, towel, toiletries etc.
- Can be used as a weekender tog bag too.
- Machine washable on a cold cycle. Remember to remove Aum disc prior to washing.
Authentic African Shweshwe History
Steeped in ancient history, and dating back to the Arab and Phoenician traders, Indigo dyed cloth arrived in the Cape in the 1800's.
The German traders gifted this cloth to the king, which soon became a favourite among the African women. The cloth became known as Shweshwe named after the reigning king at that time, King Moshoeshoe 1.
Today South Africa is only producer of this fabric word wide. It is still used in many African ceremonies as well as gracing the European fashion catwalks.
The fabric is coated in a waxy layer with a pleasing smell that is synonymous with Shweshwe. This wax coating was used in Sea faring days to preserve the fabric as it sailed the seas to other countries.
After washing the fabric the wax gives way to reveal soft but sturdy cotton. Your Simply Shweshwe yoga mat bag has been made from pre washed Shweshwe.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.