Pokkelokkie Flat cloth nappies are simple, economical and eco-friendly, made from super sustainable hemp
Hemp: is highly absorbent and breathable, naturally quick drying and antibacterial, super soft and from sustainable crops.
- Flat cloth nappies offer a fully customisable fit for your baby
- Many folds can be used, but flats are simple enough for beginners to use too
- Flats are great for winter and layering
- They are so versatile- use them as cloth nappies, cloth nappy inserts, doublers, burp clothes, change pads, dust rags, and dish towels – the cloth nappy that never stops giving.
- Take up very little space in the cupboard or nappy bag.
- Flat cloth nappies are a top pick among parents that choose to use Elimination Communication (EC)
Absorbency: Hemp’s superior absorbency, due to its porous nature, means that it is very breathable and quick drying. Hemp can absorb up to 20% its own weight.
Durability: Hemp is stronger and more durable than any other natural fabric, including linen, which almost matches hemps abrasion resistance and tensile strength. The result is that hemp has a longer lifespan than other natural fabrics
Drying time: Hemp is a fast drying fabric, especially nappies like flats which are only a single layer of fabric. Great for winter.
As each baby differs in size and weight these are estimates.
Small (newborn) - up to 6 weeks. Dimension: 50 x 50cm.
Medium - up to 8/9kg. Dimension: 60 x 60cm
Large - up to potty training. Dimension: 70 x 70cm
Choosing cloth nappies can save you roughly R7000 over a 2.5year period, and is undeniably the most eco-friendly nappy option. One baby uses approximately 6935 nappies. Due to the plastic content, disposable nappies are not biodegradable.
For one full cloth nappy using Flats you will need:
- 1 or 2 Flat cloth nappies (layered depending on desired absorbency)
- Nappy fastener (nappy pin or Snappi)
- Waterproof nappy cover
- A nappy liner, if desired
YouTube has great video tutorials of different folds you can use with a flat nappy, and Pokkelokkie recommend the Origami fold as it creates the most middle layers for better absorption.
It is also recommended to “jelly roll” the flats at the leg to minimise chances of blow-out (especially in younger and breastfed babies).
Washing: Pokkelokkie nappies are easy to wash in the washing machine. The machine should be relatively full for a good clean, so throw a few towels in with your nappy load if need be. Use an extra scoop of washing powder with your nappy load, but do not use fabric softener as this can affect the absorbency of your nappies (as can certain powders and products, so be sure to use a nappy liner with bum creams). Tumble dry on warm only. Sun drying will help to remove any stains/marks.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.