Why culture your very own sourdough bread yeast?
- It’s very simple, and easy to do
- Bread made from cultured wild yeast has a better texture than commercially produced breads, made with instant yeast, preservatives, and other unnecessary additives like sugar
- Sourdough culture contains lactobacilli which acts upon proteins (like gluten) and results in lactic acid as a by-product which lends sourdough its distinct flavour
- Wild yeast culture Improves the bioavailability of nutrients in bread making it easier to digest
- Yeast culture can be stored for more than two years when dried
You will need:
- Stone ground rye flour (whole wheat flour)
- Spring, mineral, or distilled water
- Stir ½ teaspoon of dried starter culture into 1 tablespoon of water in a small jam jar, or similar container
- Add 1 tablespoon rye flour and mix until consistency of pancake batter
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of water if necessary to reach desired consistency
- Cover jar with tea towel/dish cloth (do not seal with lid)
- Allow 24 for fermentation at an ambient temperature of 25°C
- Transfer contents of jar to mixing bowl
- Add 30 grams of rye flour and 30 milliliters of water
- Stir vigorously
- Leave for 24 hours
- Add 60 grams of rye flour and 60 milliliters of water
- Stir vigorously
- Leave for 24 hours
- Your sourdough is now ready to bake!
- Make sure to keep a small amount of dough to repeat the stages 2-3 for the next loaf.
7 grams of dried starter culture in a sachet
Organic Stone-Milled Flour, Spring Mineral Water.
Country of Origin:
Made in South Africa
7 out of 9 people would recommend this product11/07/2021, By CaroleThe instructions are vague and initially use volume then switch to weight, causing confusion. No troubleshooting guide, no recipe for bread or any of the other uses, pancakes etc. No contact details or website to refer to. I ended up googling a random site for guidance which fortunately helped and I eventually got the culture to bubble and grow. It would not take much effort on the part of the supplier to provide more comprehensive instructions, especially given the price of the starter for only 7g.13/12/2020, By JennyGreat sourdough starter and saved lots of time and money compared to trying to create my own. The owner is on Instagram and was very responsive answering my questions! Highly recommend!27/10/2020, By ThasmineWorks well23/10/2020, By Tessagreat product, works well27/07/2020, By AbbyUnfortunately it didn't work for me - no bubbles. I would like more assistance and troubleshooting instructions, as well as an email address for further support, perhaps. This support is offered by other sourdough starter companies.23/07/2020, By NeoThis product didn’t work, I followed the instructions to the “t” but still no bubble.. no action.29/05/2020, By RingoLizzy is a fantastic product, so easy to make! Sooo gosh darn delicious. This little sachet is great value for money!
It's authentic and the personal note and instructions give such a nice touch!!05/05/2020, By OksanaLove this starter18/03/2019, By Star flightLizzy is a real treat. I have a bread maker and use my culture to make delicious sourdough breads that come out looking beautiful, every time. Little lizzy is making my baking journey a breeze and a delight.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.