Like other legumes, lentils are low in fat and high in protein and fiber, but they have the added advantage of cooking quickly. Lentils have a mild, often earthy flavor, and they're best if cooked with assertive flavorings. Before cooking, always rinse lentils and pick out stones and other debris. Unlike dried beans and peas, there's no need to soak them. Lentils cook more slowly if they're combined with salt or acidic Ingredients, so add these last.
Red Lentil Curry
This is a rich and hearty lentil curry, great as a main meal rather than as a side dish like the more traditional Indian dhal. Don't let the ingredient list faze you, this really is an easy dish to make. This dish is great served with basmati rice.
Original Recipe Yield 8 servings
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Root, minced
- 1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree
- Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear (this is very important or the lentils will get "scummy"), put the lentils in a pot with water to cover and simmer covered until lentils tender (add more water if necessary).
- While the lentils are cooking: In a large skillet or saucepan, caramelize the Onion in vegetable oil.
- While the Onion are cooking, combine the curry paste, curry powder, Turmeric, cumin, chili powder, Salt, Sugar, Garlic, and Ginger in a mixing bowl. Mix well. When the Onion are cooked, add the curry mixture to the Onion and cook over a high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and reduce heat, allow the curry base to simmer until the lentils are ready.
- When the lentils are tender drain them briefly (they should have absorbed most of the water but you don't want the curry to be too sloppy). Mix the curry base into the lentils and serve immediately.
4 out of 4 people would recommend this product29/10/2020, By Yususgreat product06/05/2020, By ElderLove this product27/05/2019, By MaddiThese are expensive but team very well with vegetable dishes as they provide a mood measure of protein. More chewy than wheat pasta they are filling and my husband loved them. He is a real pasta fan so this was good news for me.19/10/2018, By StruanReally good product. Great in soup and stews. Komati is a good brand with fresh and delicious products
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.