Benefits of soy beans: What makes this legume so good for you?
- It’s a complete protein, containing all the amino acids needed for proper nutrition
- A great vegan & vegetarian protein source
- Contains essential omega 3 fatty acids, which promote heart health
- Low in fat & cholesterol-free
- An excellent source of dietary fibre for healthy digestion
- A source of enriched calcium & vitamin B12; a great meat & milk alternative
Sprouting your soy beans will neutralise “anti-nutrients” like enzyme inhibitors, making the vitamins and minerals found in the beans that much easier for your body to digest and absorb.
Suitable for sprouting and general consumption.
Recipe for Kongnamul (Korean-Style Soy Bean Sprouts):
- 1oz soy bean sprouts
- 2Tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 2Tbsp chili powder
- 1½tsp garlic, minced
- 2tsp sesame seeds
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- 2tsp rice wine vinegar
- Ice water
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the soy bean sprouts & cook uncovered until tender but still crisp (about 15 seconds).
- Drain & immediately immerse in ice water for several minutes until cold. This will stop the cooking process. Once the sprouts are cold, drain well & set aside.
- Whisk the soy sauce, sesame oil, chili powder, garlic & sesame seeds together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the sprouts & toss until well-coated with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with green onion & season with rice wine vinegar. Refrigerate before serving.
Please Note: This product consists of the sprouting seeds only; sprouting jars & stand are not included. You will need a full standard sprouting kit to grow your seeds.
- Add 3-4Tbsp of your dry seeds to a clean sprouting jar; enough to lightly cover the bottom of an upright jar.
- Cover the sprouting jar with the mesh screen & secure it with a rubber band.
- Cover your dry seeds with 2-4cm water & soak for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain & rinse in fresh water, swirling gently while draining to disperse the seeds across the surface of the sprouting jar. Place the jar at an angle on your sprouting stand.
- Keep your sprouting jar in natural light but never in direct sunlight. Rinse your seeds 2-3 times a day in cool water. The water should be rinsed clear.
- Harvest within 2-3 days of the “tails” and/or greenery appearing from the seeds.
- Drain the sprouts well & leave 2-4 hours to dry on your sprouting stand, before transferring to an airtight, covered storage container.
- Enjoy your sprouts in 3-7 days; keep them refrigerated in an airtight container. Start sprouting new seeds every 2- 3 days for a continuous, fresh supply.
- Never eat sprouts that have started to smell bad.
- Always wash your containers thoroughly between plantings.
- Remove any broken or damaged seeds before you start sprouting.
- Double rinsing is recommended for beans & legumes.
- Never eat sprouted soy beans with brown spots.
- Unsprouted seeds should be stored in an airtight container in a cupboard. The germination life of seeds is generally 2-5 years.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.