Chives are a good source of the following nutrients:
- Allicin, which contributes to lower cholesterol & blood pressure
- Beta carotene, for skin & eye health
- Vitamins C & E, which have antioxidant properties
- Dietary fibre, for healthy digestion
- Folic acid, for heart & blood vessel health
- Magnesium, zinc, copper, potassium, phosphorus & calcium
Why should you be sprouting your chives?
- Sprouts can be grown all year round in your own kitchen
- A small amount of seeds gives you a high yield, making sprouting highly affordable
- The sprouting process neutralises phytic acid in the veggies, so the nutrients become easier for your body to absorb
- Sprouting improves the alkalinity of the seeds & boosts vitamin content
- Sprouts are a rich source of fibre, antioxidants & oxygen, for improved cell health
Suitable for sprouting and general consumption.
Recipe for Garlic Chive Mini Potato Pancakes:
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled & grated
- 4Tbsp sprouted garlic chives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- Sour cream or plain yoghurt & applesauce for topping
- Toss the grated potato with the salt & leave to stand for 10 minutes, then squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Beat the eggs; then stir in the potatoes, chives, flour & add pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Heat 2Tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Drop in tablespoon-sized portions of batter & pat each one down lightly.
- Cook until lightly browned on both sides. Serve hot, topped with a dollop of sour cream or yoghurt & applesauce; enjoy!
Please Note: This product consists of the sprouting seeds only; sprouting jars & stand are not included. You will need a full standard sprouting kit to grow your seeds.
- Add 3-4Tbsp of your dry seeds to a clean sprouting jar; enough to lightly cover the bottom of an upright jar.
- Cover the sprouting jar with the mesh screen & secure it with a rubber band.
- Cover your dry seeds with 2-4cm water & soak for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain & rinse in fresh water, swirling gently while draining to disperse the seeds across the surface of the sprouting jar. Place the jar at an angle on your sprouting stand.
- Keep your sprouting jar in natural light but never in direct sunlight. Rinse your seeds 2-3 times a day in cool water. The water should be rinsed clear.
- Harvest within 2-3 days of the “tails” and/or greenery appearing from the seeds.
- Drain the sprouts well & leave 2-4 hours to dry on your sprouting stand, before transferring to an airtight, covered storage container.
- Enjoy your sprouts in 3-7 days; keep them refrigerated in an airtight container. Start sprouting new seeds every 2- 3 days for a continuous, fresh supply.
- Never eat sprouts that have started to smell bad.
- Always wash your containers thoroughly between plantings.
- Remove any broken or damaged seeds before you start sprouting.
- Double rinsing is recommended for beans & legumes.
- Never eat sprouted soy beans with brown spots.
- Unsprouted seeds should be stored in an airtight container in a cupboard. The germination life of seeds is generally 2-5 years.
1 out of 1 people would recommend this product30/10/2014, By KaeylaThese are delicious in salads and over scrambled eggs. They take a little longer to sprout than alfalfa seeds but are worth it.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.