The First Flush DIY kit includes:
- Top intake cap/adaptor (to fit to standard 80mm round downpipes)
- Float ball
- 110mm bracket for mounting the unit to the wall
- 80mm round T piece
- Bottom base cap with screw-off lid for cleaning
- Valve for draining the water
Why use a First Flush diverter? When it starts to rain, water builds up in the roof gutter system before it exits through the downpipe.
The “first flush” of water from your roof typically contains:
- Bacteria from decomposed insects
- Bird & animal droppings
- Concentrated tannic acid
- Water-borne heavy metals
- Chemical residues
The Gutter Guard First Flush kit is a great way to keep these contaminants out of your water storage system.
Gutter mesh and leaf catchers help to catch larger debris, but can’t catch small particles like sediment and bacteria from getting into your water tank. That’s why we recommend a First Flush diverter.
How it works:
- Gutter Guard’s First Flush device is installed along the gutter downpipe that will feed into your water tank.
- As the water level in the diverter chamber rises, the float ball rises.
- Once the chamber is full, the ball rests on a seat inside the diverter chamber, preventing any more water from entering the diverter.
- The subsequent flow of clean rainwater is then automatically directed along the pipe system through the T piece, into your rain water tank.
- After the rain, just drain the system through the valve, ready for the next rainfall.
- The bottom of the unit (end cap) can be screwed off to fully clean the unit occasionally.
- During periods of frequent rain, it may not be necessary to drain the first flush device every time it starts raining, as the roof and gutters may already be clean.
Top Tip: It’s best to have one First Flush diverter on each downpipe, but a single unit can be placed close to the tank and perform a first flush for several downpipes. It depends on the size of your roof catchment area, and how thoroughly you want to clean the water.
For DIY installation, you will need:
- A drilling machine for mounting the bracket to the wall
- PVC glue
- Standard round 110mm diameter plumbing pipe, cut to a suitable length for your installation
- Additional 80mm PVC plumbing pipe to connect the T Piece to the tank/First Flush device, depending on your set up requirements
- Gutter Guard Leaf Catcher Box if required (sold separately)
The amount of water you need to first flush will depend on:
- The roof size (recommended minimum first flush is 4L per 20m of catchment area)
- The amount of leaves & pollution on the roof
- The intended use of the water
6-piece DIY kit
Country of Origin
Made in South Africa
2 out of 2 people would recommend this product18/06/2018, By MartinThe"First Flush" works well and the 80 mm connections matches the down pipes whereas certain hardware stores only sell the 110 mm connections. Price from Faithful to Nature also cheaper than at hardware stores.03/04/2018, By JulianGenerally a good kit, I purchased two kits. Although one of the down pipe T's had a crack in the joint (soon fixed with a little silicon) easy to assemble, and works well.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.