Wakame seaweed is a slightly sweet-tasting sea vegetable; it has an appealing silky texture and is easy to prepare. It is best-known as an ingredient in Japanese miso soup, but it’s very versatile and can easily be used in a wide variety of dishes.
Wakame is a highly alkaline food, and is recommended as a part of a balanced macrobiotic diet. For centuries, this sea vegetable has been used as a traditional Japanese remedy, and today, it’s widely recognised as a great nutrient-rich food full of health benefits:
- Protein – a great source of plant-based protein for vegans and vegetarians.
- Dietary fibre – helps with healthy digestion and weight management.
- Vitamins A and C – great for the skin and immune system health.
- Vitamin B2 – a powerful antioxidant; supports red blood cell production.
- Calcium – 100g of wakame contains roughly 150mg of calcium! Perfect for building strong bones and teeth.
- Iron – supports red blood cell production, helps to prevent anaemia.
- Iodine – helps to keep the thyroid gland functioning properly and balances thyroid hormones.
- Magnesium – essential for healthy muscles.
Note: You can easily rehydrate your dried wakame from Earth Products by placing it in warm water for 3 minutes. It will expand to about 10 times its dried size and regain its original beautiful green colour.
Recipe for Tofu & Wakame Stir-Fry
- 200g firm tofu
- 1 small to medium onion
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g Earth Products wakame
- 1 tsp tamari sauce
- 1 tsp chopped spring onions
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seed
- Wrap a tea towel firmly around the tofu to absorb some of its moisture.
- Soak the wakame for 15 minutes.
- Chop the onion and sauté until it starts to brown.
- Crumble the tofu, and add to the onion. Cook until it starts to turn golden.
- Drain and chop the wakame, then add to tofu and onion.
- Steam with the lid on. Pour the tamari over the top and garnish with spring onions and sesame.
- Serves 2
100% natural wakame
1 out of 1 people would recommend this product28/01/2014, By ElmarieI am so glad that ftn now stocks this product. It is not easy to find. It may seem expensive but a little goes a very long way so a packet will last for a good while.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.