Health Benefits of Figs
- Fig fruit is low in calories. 100g provide only 74 calories. However, they contain health benefiting soluble dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins, and pigment anti-oxidants that contribute immensely for optimum health and wellness.
- Dried figs are an excellent source of minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants. In fact, dried fruits are concentrated sources of energy. 100 g dried figs provide 249 calories.
- Figs, especially black mission, are good in poly-phenolic flavonoid anti-oxidants such as carotenes, lutein, tannins, chlorogenic acid...etc. Their anti-oxidant value is comparable to that of apples at 3200 umol/100 g.
- In addition, figs contain adequate levels of some of the anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin A, E, and K. Altogether these phyto-chemical compounds in fig fruit help scavenge harmful oxygen derived free radicals from the body and thereby protect us from cancers, diabetes, degenerative diseases and infections.
- Furthermore, research studies suggest that chlorogenic acid in these berries help lower blood sugar levels and control blood-glucose levels in type-II diabetes mellitus (Adult onset) condition.
- Fresh as well as dried figs contain good levels of B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, pyridoxine, folates, and pantothenic acid. These vitamins function as co-factors for metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
- Dried figs are excellent source minerals like calcium, copper, potassium, manganese, iron, selenium and zinc. 100 g of dried figs contain 640 mg of potassium, 162 mg of calcium, 2.03 mg of iron and 232 mg of potassium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells. Iron is required for red blood cell formation as well for cellular oxidation.
18 out of 19 people would recommend this product11/10/2017, By rochelleI love everything about these figs. I include them in every order. So sweet and delicious!09/10/2017, By EstrellitaThis is just the best for a lunchbox snack! Not too sweet and a deliciously chewy texture. Definitely going to include this in my monthly order.09/10/2017, By Judithi love these. great snack item08/10/2017, By JacquiI didn't like the texture but they tasted fine. My husband loved them.02/09/2017, By cherrypieI will not buy this product again. Awful taste....02/09/2017, By MarietteI can taste the love and care that went into how this product was made. Lovely gift and lunch box filler.23/07/2017, By AyeshaAbsolutely love these figs! My fussy dad loved them as well. I hate any dried fruit that are hard to chew. These are just perfect! Would buy again and again20/07/2017, By NikkiThe best dried fruit i have ever had. So tasty and sweet and not soggy at all.11/07/2017, By JohandaI love figs in any form and this is just delicious.30/06/2017, By Aus Dee DeeI love the taste and the fact that they have no preservatives15/09/2016, By TalithaReally enjoyed these!26/05/2016, By SheenaFantastic taste, great colour, wonderful texture and best of all knowing the they carry the Faithful to Nature quality approval. Brilliant.05/12/2015, By FarzanaThese figs were great - not overly sweet - great snack to have!01/12/2015, By AdeleDelicious, incredible healthy and a fantastic source of fiber. Makes a fantastic display on baked goodies. LOVE!17/11/2015, By AnelThis snack is a wonderful lunchbox addition. Its chewy and delicious and full of nutrients.14/11/2015, By JudithBy Nature have always produced quality products. These figs are no different. They are delicious and a great nibble item.14/10/2014, By MarianIf you are a dried fig fan such as I am, these figs are a must! Highly recommended excellent taste.01/10/2014, By AldeI received a sample and will be ordering soon! Especially after I saw all the health benefits listed!14/07/2014, By TracyThese are totally yum!
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice. Some products may be manufactured in a factory that also produce gluten, nuts and dairy products.