This veggie-version of stuffed chicken completely knocks the Christmas stockings off the wall! Perfect for your family meal without the meat.
VEGAN BUCKWHEAT STUFFING:
- ½ red apple
- 1 white onion
- 4 celery stalks
- 3 tbsp cranberries
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ cup veg stock
- 1 cup cooked buckwheat
- 1 tbsp flax egg (1t bsp ground flax with water)
- 1 can aquafaba (from the cannellini beans used in the mash)
- ½ cup sunflower seed flour
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190ºC.
- Then chop the onion, apple and celery into small chunks. Add to a cast iron skillet or large frying pan with the cranberries, spices and coconut oil.
- Sauté until soft and tender, then add in the vegetable stock, flax egg, aquafaba, sunflower seed flour (just blend raw sunflower seeds in a blender or food processor until fine) and cooked buckwheat.
- Bake in a cast iron skillet or baking dish at 190ºC for 30-45min or until golden brown and crispy on top.
- Set aside and prepare butternut to stuff or enjoy as a side dish.
ROAST BUTTERNUT WITH DATE, SAGE & ORANGE GLAZE
- 2 whole butternuts
- 1 cup vegan stuffing
- 1 orange (sliced thinly)
- Handful fresh thyme or sage leaves
- String & scissors
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp Silan date syrup
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch Salt
- Pre-cook the butternuts on 180ºC for 20min.
- Allow to cool before slicing them in half length-ways.
- Hollow out and keep filling and seeds aside (try to separate the seeds).
- Make the glaze by adding all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- In a frying pan or shallow pot, add the hollowed-out butternut pieces with a few tbsp of the glaze and allow to cook until soft.
- Once ready, mix the cooked butternut with the vegan stuffing and stuff all four halves until full. Then tie together the two halves with string – you can add a few orange slices and sprigs of thyme on top before tying together.
- Then glaze the outside of the butternuts well.
- Roast at 200ºC for 20min or until golden and soft.