16 Oct Butternut & Tomato Vegetarian Pasta Bake
This organic vegetarian pasta bake recipe was provided by Tandy Sinclair of Lavender & Lime.
Biodiversity in farming and growing organic produce will ensure our ecology is maintained in a balanced way. Eating regionally, seasonally and using sustainable produce is what I am about. My recipe for a vegetarian pasta bake makes use of only organic products and can be adapted to suit which ever fresh vegetables are in season.
Prep time: 45 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Feeds: 4 Very hungry adults or a family of 6
1 medium organic butternut
15 ml organic olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
15 ml organic onion powder, plus extra for seasoning
500 g organic spelt spirelli pasta
50 g organic dried tomatoes
400 g tin organic tomatoes
5 large organic spring onions
10 ml organic black cumin seeds
1 medium organic cauliflower
5 ml organic turmeric
125 ml organic vegetable stock
1 large bunch of kale
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Peel and remove the seeds from the butternut and cut into bite size pieces.
3. Place into a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with onion powder.
4. Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes then remove and set aside.
5. Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
6. Cook the pasta for one minute less than stated on the packet.
7. Drain and drizzle with olive oil and set aside.
8. Put the dried tomatoes into a bowl and cover with the tinned tomatoes and set aside.
9. Place 15 ml olive oil into a large frying pan.
10. Add the spring onions and sauté over a medium temperature until soft.
11. Add the cumin seeds and continue to cook until you can smell the aroma from the seeds.
12. Trim and cut the cauliflower into small florets and add to the frying pan.
13. Add the onion powder, turmeric, tomatoes and stock and stir to combine.
14. Continue cooking until the cauliflower is nearly soft.
15. Roughly chop the leaves of the kale.
16. Remove the vegetables from the heat and add the kale, stirring to combine.
17. Place all the ingredients into a super large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
18. Place everything back into the roasting pan and cook in the oven for 20
Remove from the oven and serve hot.